In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over a type-2 question from TOEIC speaking test. Describe the photo in your own words; you have 60 seconds to answer.
Directions: In this part of the test, you will describe the picture on your screen with as much detail as you can. You will have 30 seconds to prepare your response. Then you will have 45 seconds to speak about the picture.
How did you do? Use the following pointers as a guideline to refine your answer.
- What is the theme of the picture?
- Organize the photo into 3 parts:
- Describe the person’s main action
- Describe the objects in the picture
- Describe what you see in the background
- Think of expressions and vocabulary that describe the person, objects, and background
- Clothing store selling women’s clothes
- Clothes racks
- A lot of summer clothes hanging on clothes racks
- In the background of this picture
- A selection of comfort wear
- Different types of womens’ pants and shirts are hanging on the wall
- Judging by the clothes she is wearing and the clothes displayed at the apparel store in this picture
- It seems to be spring or fall
- Wear a pink, striped blouse
- Hold a pair of sweatpants
- Feel the fabric
- Has bleached hair
- Look at the price tag
- Pick out woman’s comfort wear
- Combine the expressions above to describe the picture in your own words.
Reading great sample answers is one way to improve. Go over the sample answer with your tutor. Ask questions if you have any.
I think this is a picture of a clothing store that sells womens’ comfort wear. A young, pretty woman wearing a pink, striped blouse and black jeans is holding a pair of black sweatpants while feeling the fabric to figure out the quality of the clothing. Also, she looks like she is looking for a price tag. A lot of womens’ shirts and pants hanging on the clothes rack have different colors and patterns, such as pink shirts and flower prints. In the background of this picture, there is a display of a tank-top on a mannequin and many handbags hung on the wall. Judging by the clothes she is wearing and the clothes displayed at this apparel store, it seems to be spring or fall.
Got more time? Here is a list of common vocab words related to the text you studied today. Go over each one with your tutor.
|suit and tie||(n) formal clothing
e.g. He said the dress code was a suit and tie for gentlemen and a cocktail dress for ladies.
|tank top||(n) sleeveless shirt with low neck
e.g. I forgot the tank top for my yoga class.
|trousers||(n) (usually) loose-fitting pants
e.g. He wore a pair of trousers.
|pullover||(n) sweater that must be drawn over the head
e.g. She wore a pullover jacket.
|cardigan||(n) collarless knitted sweater with open front
e.g. She bought a new cardigan sweater.
|jersey||(n) a loose shirt worn by a member of a sports team as part of a uniform
e.g. He stored his football jersey.
|overall||(n) pants with chest cover and shoulder straps
e.g. I always wear a pair of overalls before I paint the house.
|sneakers / running shoes||(n) shoes designed to wear while running or playing sports
e.g.Sneakers are also called training shoes in the U.K.
|trench coat||(n) usually long raincoat with deep pockets and a belt
e.g. Burberry is known for its trench coats.
|comfort wear||(n) comfortable clothing; lounge wear
e.g. Comfort wear includes sweatpants, sweatshirts, and PJs.