In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: retirement. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|early retirement||(n) when someone ends their working life before the usual age
School teachers can choose early retirement at the age of 55 years old.
|social security||(n) a USA government program that gives retired people money; usually between 62-67
When I’m 67 I can retire and collect social security.
|pension||(n) money paid to a person from their company they worked for after retirement
I will receive a pension of $1000 per month.
|401K||(n) a company retirement savings plan for its workers; money is taken from their paycheck
Most companies have a 401K plan for their workers to save money.
|leisure time||(n) free time; time away from work to rest, relax, and enjoy
In my leisure time, I like to walk, read books, and watch TV.
|medicare||(n) a USA government health insurance plan for people over 65 and younger people with disabilities
People 65 years or older in the USA have Medicare for their health insurance.
|golden years||(n – plural) the late years in someone’s life; usually after retirement
I hope to travel during my golden years.
|retirement community||(n) a group of houses and apartments for people to live after retirement
My parents live in a retirement community.
|lifestyle||(n) a way a person, group, or culture live
A healthy lifestyle is important for good health.
|personal finances||(n) the way a person or family manage their money
His personal finances changed after he retired.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- What is the age of retirement in your country?
- Is there a social security program in your country? If yes, tell me about it.
- Do companies in your country have a 401k plan or similar plan? If yes, tell me about it.
- Why would a person take early retirement?
- Who manages your or your family’s personal finances and why?
- How do you think your lifestyle will change after retirement?
- What will you do during your leisure time after retirement?
- Does your government have a similar Medicare program like the USA? If yes, tell me about it.
- Are there retirement communities in your country? If yes, tell me about them.
- At what age do you plan to retire and why?