In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: the dentist. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|toothbrush||(n) a brush for cleaning your teeth
I like soft toothbrushes.
|toothpaste||(n) a substance used to clean your teeth
I like mint flavored toothpaste.
|x-ray||(n) to examine and make photos the inside of your body
Once a year my dentist takes x-rays of my teeth and gums.
|dental floss||(n) a special string that is used to clean between your teeth
My dentist recommends that I use dental floss after every meal.
|gums||(n) the soft tissue under your teeth
It’s important to take care of your gums and teeth.
|cavity||(n) a hole formed in a tooth by decay or rotting
During my last dentist visit, I had one cavity.
|mouthwash||(n) a liquid that is used to clean your mouth and teeth and to make your breath smell better
I gargle with mouthwash every time I brush my teeth.
|tooth fairy||(n) an imaginary person who’s supposed to leave money to children while they sleep in exchange for a tooth that has come out
Children are excited to find that the tooth fairy left them $1 for their tooth.
|whitening||(n) the act or process of making something white or whiter; teeth
Whitening your teeth will make them brighter.
|filling||(n) something used to fill a cavity in your teeth
The dentist used a cement as a filling for my cavity.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Is it important to go to the Dentist? Why or why not?
- Do or did you have braces?
- What flavor of toothpaste do you like? Why?
- Do you have any fillings? If so, how many?
- Have you ever had an x-ray? If so, for what?
- Is there a tooth fairy in your culture?
- Have you ever had whitening done to your teeth? If yes, would you recommend it?
- Are you afraid of the dentist? Why or why not?
- Do you think it’s important to use dental floss and mouthwash? Why or why not?
- Do you brush your teeth after every meal? Why or why not?