In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: the kitchen. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|oven||(n) a piece of cooking equipment used for baking
I will bake the chicken in the oven.
|stove||(n) usually on top of the oven; used to cook food in pans or pots
The stove is on top of the oven.
|dishwasher||(n) an electric machine that is used to wash dishes
I love that I can wash my dishes in a dishwasher.
|countertop||(n) the flat working surface below the cabinets in a kitchen
Please put the apples on the countertop.
|kitchen sink||(n) the place in the kitchen where hot and cold water flows to wash dishes or clean food
The kitchen sink is full of dishes.
|appliances||(n – plural) a machine such as a stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, washer, or dryer
I just bought new appliances for my kitchen.
|freezer||(n) a machine or appliance to make food cold with ice
You need to put the chicken in the freezer.
|toaster||(n) a machine to toast bread or bagels
I can toast four pieces of bread in my toaster.
|blender||(n) an electric kitchen machine to cut food or ice into small pieces; mix together
A blender is a good machine to make fruit juices.
|frying pan||(n) a metal pan that has a long handle and is used to cook food on the stove; saute
He likes to cook eggs in a frying pan.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Do you like to cook? Why or why not?
- Which appliances do you have in your home?
- Tell me 3 things that can be cooked in a frying pan.
- Do you like to wash dishes by hand or with a dishwasher? Why?
- What things are on your kitchen countertop?
- Tell me 3 things that can be cooked in the oven?
- Do you eat toast? If so, how do you like it toasted (light or dark)?
- What do you keep in your freezer?
- Does your kitchen sink have hot and cold water?
- Tell me 3 appliances you have in your kitchen.