In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: marriage. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|to ask for someone’s hand||to ask someone to marry you (formal)
e.g. It was such a romantic proposal. He got down on one knee and asked for my hand in marriage!
|to pop the question||to ask someone to marry you (informal, slang)
e.g. Those two have been dating forever! When is he finally going to pop the question???
|to get hitched||to get married (very informal/slang)
e.g. Did you hear? Adam and Betty got hitched in Vegas last weekend!
|a match / marriage made in heaven||the man and woman are perfect for each other!
e.g. They are a match made in heaven!
|an arranged marriage||a marriage where the parents (or other close family member) choose the person their son or daughter will marry
e.g. Arranged marriages are still common in some parts of Asia.
|a shotgun wedding||a wedding that happens quickly and suddenly because the woman is pregnant; the couple wants to be married before the baby is born
e.g. It looks like its a shotgun wedding for those two.
|head over heels||to be very much in love with someone
e.g. Look at them. They’re head over heels in love with each other.
|love at first sight||falling in love with somebody the first time you see them
e.g. My wife and I met at a party. It was love at first sight.
|to tie the knot||get married
e.g. When are you and Jenny going to tie the knot?
|fix somebody up (with someone)||find a romantic partner for somebody
e.g. I’m not going to the party unless you promise me you won’t try to fix me up with another friend of yours.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- At what age do you want to get married? At what age do most people in your country get married?
- Is arranged marriage a common thing in your country?
- Do you think getting married means giving up freedom?
- Do you think it is better to be single or to be married?
- Do you think it is okay for a couple to live together before getting married? Why or Why not?
- Do you think love is necessary to have a good marriage?
- Do you think people change after getting married?
- How long do you think couples should know each other before they get married?
- If your parents did not approve of a person you loved and wanted to marry, would that be a difficult situation for you? Why/Why not?
- “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” Do you agree? Share your thoughts with your Cambly tutor!