In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: chores. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|task||(n) work given to someone to do; chore
His task is to wash the car.
|allowance||(n) a small amount of money given to children by parents
My children receive an allowance every week.
|schedule||(n) a plan of things to do and when
She has a weekly schedule of chores.
|sweep the floor||(expression) to clean the floor with a broom
Today my chore is to sweep the floor.
|vacuum the floor||(expression) to clean the floors with a vacuum cleaner
Tomorrow I have to vacuum the floor.
|take out the trash||(expression) remove the garbage or rubbish from the house
My dad asked me to take out the trash.
|set the table||(expression) to put the dishes, utensils, and glasses on the table to eat
I have to set the table for dinner.
|clear the table||(expression) to remove the dishes, utensils, and glasses from the table after eating
You need to clear the table after we eat.
|do the laundry||(expression) to wash dirty clothes
I do the laundry on Monday’s.
|clean the windows||(expression) to remove the dirt from windows
The windows are dirty. Please, clean the windows.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Did you receive an allowance when you were a child? If yes, how much?
- What chores do children and teenagers do in your country?
- Which chore do you dislike the most? Why?
- What are some chores that are done outside of the house?
- Should children be given chores? Why or why not?
- Should children receive an allowance for doing chores? Why or why not?
- Can you name some chores that need to be done every day?
- Tell me about a task at work or school that you don’t like to do.
- Would you pay an adult to clean your house every week? Why or why not?
- Are there any chores that you enjoy doing? Why or why not?