In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: household appliances. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|dishwasher||(n) an appliance to wash dishes automatically
My favorite appliance is the dishwasher because I don’t have to wash the dishes by hand.
|refrigerator||(n) an appliance to keep food cold; sometimes called a fridge
She has a refrigerator with a freezer on top.
|freezer||(n) an appliance to keep food frozen with ice
She keeps the meats in the freezer.
|stove||(n) an appliance to cook food with electric or gas; using pot and pans
The stove is good for frying or boiling food.
|oven||(a) an appliance with a door to bake or roast food; usually an oven is below the stove
He likes to bake cakes in the oven.
|washer||(n) an appliance to wash and clean clothes
She has an extra large capacity washer.
|dryer||(n) an appliance to dry clothes after they are washed
He likes to use the dryer instead of hanging his clothes outside to dry.
|coffee maker||(n) an appliance to make or to brew coffee
They use a coffee maker every day to make coffee.
|toaster||(n) an appliance to toast bread or bagels
I like to use the toaster to toast bagels.
|blender||(n) an appliance to blend things together; usually into liquid form
We like to make smoothies in our blender.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Tell me some of the household appliances you have in your home.
- Are household appliances expensive to buy in your country?
- Which household appliance is your favorite? Why?
- Do you like to cook? Why or why not?
- Tell me some things you can make in a blender.
- How do you like your toast: lightly toasted or darkly toasted? Why?
- Do you have an electric or gas stove? Which do you like better?
- Tell me some things you can cook in an oven?
- Tell me some things you can cook on the stove.
- Where are your washer and dryer located in your home?