In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: in the living room. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|furniture||(n) chairs, sofas, tables, etc that are used in a room
A bed is a piece of furniture.
|couch/sofa||(n) a long piece of furniture on which a person can sit or lie
Usually, two to three people can sit on a sofa.
|armchair||(n) a chair that supports your arms
I like to sit in an armchair more than a sofa.
|recliner||(n) an armchair can be tilted back and has a footrest
The recliner is more comfortable than the armchair.
|cushion||(n) a pillow or pad used to sit on some furniture like sofas
The cushion for the armchair is firm.
|coffee table||(n) a long low table usually placed in front of a sofa
She likes to put magazines on her coffee table.
|end table||(n) a small table usually next to a sofa or chair
The lamp is on the end table.
|bookshelf||(n) a place to put books
The bookshelf has many different books in it.
|lamp||(n) a device that produces light
The lamp is very bright.
|fireplace||(n) a place where a fire can be built
We use the fireplace only when it’s cold outside.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- What do you like to do in your living room?
- Where’s your favorite place to sit in your living room? Why?
- What furniture is in your living room?
- Do you like to eat in your living room? Why or why not?
- Do you like a big or small living room? Why?
- Where do you like to buy your furniture? Why?
- Do you like fireplaces? Why or why not?
- Do you sleep on the sofa sometimes? Why or why not?
- Besides the living room, where else do you have televisions in your home?
- Do you have a bookshelf in your living room? Why or why not?