In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: helping other people. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|volunteer||(n) a person a helps others without being paid
She is a volunteer to teach English.
|donate||(v) to give money or goods to other people or organizations
They donate $100 every year to the school.
|charity||(n) a system to give money, food, clothes, free help, etc to those in need
I give clothes I don’t wear anymore to charity.
|fundraiser||(n) an event to raise money for a specific purpose; especially charity
We are having a fundraiser to send the students to Europe.
|nonprofit||(adj) not to make a profit
The nonprofit organization helps people find jobs.
|organization||(n) a group of people who work together
We are an organization to help poor people.
|social worker||(n) a person who works for an organization to help and support people who need it
She is a social worker who helps sick people.
|Red Cross||(n) an organization that helps people who suffer from hunger, disease or other problems
The Red Cross helps people after a disaster.
|food bank||(n) a place who gives food to people that need it; a charity
You can donate food to the food bank.
|homeless shelter||(n) a place where homeless people can go temporarily to live
The homeless shelter provides a place for people to eat and sleep.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Tell me some things people donate to charity.
- Why do people volunteer?
- Tell me some organizations where people volunteer in your country.
- Would you like to volunteer? If yes, what would you like to do?
- How can people and governments help homeless people?
- Have you ever donated something? If yes, what?
- If there was a disaster in your country, would you volunteer to help? Why or why not?
- Have you ever donated money to an organization? If yes, why?
- Tell me about a time you helped someone.
- Tell me some examples of fundraisers. (For Example – Car Wash)