In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: taking the bus. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|bus station||(n) a place where buses start and end their routes; people also pay for tickets
The bus station is always full of people.
|bus stop||(n) a place where buses stop to let people on and off
The closest bus stop is down the street from my house.
|bus driver||(n) the person who drives and operates the bus
The bus driver drives safely.
|bus fare||(n) the money you pay to take a bus
The bus fare is $3.00 one-way.
|bus route||(n) the direction or way the bus goes
We need to take the bus route going north to 5th Avenue.
|get on||(v – phrase) to enter a bus, airplane, or train
We need to get on the bus now.
|get off||(v – phrase) to exit the bus, airplane, or train
At the next bus stop, we will get off.
|seat number||(n) the number given to a seat; sometimes with letters
My seat number is 24B.
|transfer||(n) to go from one bus to another bus
We have to transfer buses at the next stop.
|coach||(n) a type of bus that goes long distances
The coach is going from London to Paris.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Do you take the bus? Why or why not?
- Why do people take the bus?
- Are the bus systems in your country good or bad? Why?
- Do you think more people should take the bus? Why or why not?
- Have you ever taken a long bus trip? If yes, tell me about it. If no, do you want to? Why?
- Would you like to be on a bus that is full of people? Why or why not?
- Do you think bus stations are clean or dirty?
- What are some other examples of public transportation?
- Do you have a metro or subway in your country?
- Do a lot of people take taxis in your country?