In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: having a BBQ. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|cookout||(n) a BBQ or party at which food is cooked and served outdoors
We invited our friends over for a cookout.
|fire up||(v – phrase) to start by lighting a fire
I’m hungry! Let’s fire up the grill.
|BBQ grill||(n) the equipment to cook food over a fire outside
My BBQ grill works with gas.
|gas||(n) a substance that is burned as fuel
We heat our house with gas.
|charcoal||(n) a hard black material that is made by burning wood with little air; used for BBQ grills
I need more charcoal for the grill.
|cooler||(n) a container for keeping food and drinks cold
The cooler is filled with ice, soda, and water.
|beverages||(n – plural) something you can drink; a liquid for drinking
The beverages are in the cooler.
|patio||(n) an area of ground with a hard material (brick, wood, or concrete); usually behind the house
The BBQ grill is on the patio.
|deck||(n) similar to a patio but usually made with wood
We need to buy new furniture for the deck.
|patio umbrella||(n) used for protection from the sun and rain
Open up the patio umbrella because the sun is hot.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Do you have a BBQ grill? If yes, is it a gas or charcoal?
- What are some reasons people have cookouts?
- Which type of beverages do you like? Why?
- What do people do at cookouts in your country?
- What kind of food is typically eaten at cookouts in your country?
- Do houses have decks or patios in your country?
- Has it ever rained at a cookout you attended? If so, what did you do?
- Do you think gas BBQ grills are dangerous? Why or why not?
- Do you like to cook on the BBQ grill? Why or why not?
- When will you have another cookout? Why?