Practice by reading the dialogue with your tutor. After you are done, switch roles and do it again! 📘
- K: Which month were you born in?
- D: I was born in February.
- K: It’s January. Your birthday is coming soon!
- D: Don’t remind me. I’m getting old.
- K: You can always lie about your age.
- D: In that case, I was born in December.
Using the verb “come.” Here are a few examples: 📘
- come early
- come late
- come on time
- come first
- come last
Using Verbs 📘
Normally in the present tense, we add S to the end of the verb in the 3rd person (he, she, it). 📘
|come / comes||give / gives|
- January comes before February.
- Dorothy gives money.
Special cases 📘
Irregular verbs in English in the present tense follow simple rules. The only change that is made to these verbs is in the third person for he, she or it. 📘
If the verb ends in SS, X, CH, SH or the letter O, we add ‘ES’ in the third person. 📘
|do / does||kiss / kisses||fix / fixes||wash / washes||catch / catches|
- Kevin does his laundry.
- She kisses her husband.
- He fixes the car.
- The hairdresser washes hair.
- The dog likes to play. It catches the ball.
If the verb ends in a Consonant ‘Y’, we remove the Y and ‘IES’ in the third person. 📘
|carry / carries||study / studies|
- My brother carries his books.
- Dorothy studies every night.
Go over the vocabulary and expressions below with your tutor. 📘
Fill in the blank with the correct month. 📘
- May comes after April.
- July comes before ___________.
- __________ comes before October.
- June comes after _________.
- __________ comes after February.
Use the correct form of the present tense verb. 📘
- He studies after dinner. (study)
- They ________ their car. (wash)
- Kevin _______ on time. (come)
- She ________ a lot of work. (do)
- The man _________ computers. (fix)
Does the sentence use the correct form of come? Answer with “yes” or “no.” If it is incorrect, say or write it correctly. 📘
- Dorothy always comes last. Yes, Dorothy always comes last.
- We usually come on time. __ _________________
- The train come early. __ _________________
- Please, do not comes late. __ _________________
- They sometimes come first. __ _________________
Fill in the correct month of the year. If needed, use the photo above with months of the year. 📘
- The 4th month of the year is April
- The 10th month of the year is ___________.
- The 2nd month of the year comes after ___________.
- The 8th month of the year comes before __________.
- ___________ comes before the 2nd month of the year.
- When is your birthday?
- Which is your favorite month? Why?
- Which is your least favorite month? Why?
- Describe the last time you were late to meet a friend.
(Image source: http://www.real-english.com/reo/8-d/8d-1.asp)