Practice by reading the dialogue with your tutor. After you are done, switch roles and do it again! 📘
- K: You look so much like your mom.
- D: Yes, we both are tall with long, black hair.
- K: I also look a lot like my father.
- D: Good thing you have more hair.
- K: For now…
Using “can” and “cannot.” 📘
- Can is used to express ability or to say that something is possible. 📘
- Can is the same for all subjects. We don’t add an ‘S’ in the third person (like other verbs). 📘
- I can speak English.
- He can swim well.
- We can see our neighbor.
- They can play the guitar.
Using the negative
To form the negative, we add “not” after can to form one word: cannot. 📘
We can also contract the negative to form can’t. (can’t = cannot). 📘
- I cannot play the piano. I can’t play the piano.
- She cannot speak English. She can’t speak English.
To form a question, we can move the “can” to near the beginning of the sentence.
- Where can I buy an ice-cream? (from “I can buy an ice-cream”)
- Can I go to the party, please? (from “I can go to the party.”)
- Can you speak English? (from “I can speak English”)
- What can we do on Saturday? (from “I can do something on Saturday.”)
Go over the vocabulary and below with your tutor. 📘
- Height: short, medium height, tall 📘
- Build: skinny, thin, slender, average, overweight, fat 📘
- Hair color: black, brown, blonde, red, grey/gray 📘
- Type of hair: short, long, medium length, bald 📘
- Eye color: blue, green, brown, dark 📘
- Age: young, middle-aged, old 📘
Answer the questions with “can” or “cannot” (can’t) 📘
- What languages can you speak? I can speak English and Spanish.
- Can you swim? _____________________________.
- Can you play the piano? ______________________.
- Where can you buy Coca Cola? ___________________.
- Can you cook? _______________________.
Fill in the blank with the correct word: “can” or “cannot” (can’t). 📘
- A dog can walk. It can’t fly.
- A child can’t work. An adult _____ work.
- You _____ buy milk at the supermarket. You ____ buy milk at the gas station.
- Airplanes can fly in the sky. Airplanes ____ fly in the sea.
- A cat can’t bark. A cat ____ meow.
Describe the height, eye color, and type of hair of the following people. 📘
- Describe your looks. I am tall. I have green eyes. I have short hair.
- Describe the looks of your best friend. ________. _______. _______.
- Describe the looks of your dad. __________. __________. _________.
- Describe the looks of your uncle. _________. _________. _________.
- Describe the looks of your cousin. ________. _________. _________.
Describe the looks of the person in the picture. Use “He/She has/is ___.”📘
- Describe how you look.
- Describe how your mother looks.
- Describe what your best friend looks like.
- Would you like to change your appearance? How?