Practice reading the dialogue with your tutor. After you are done, switch roles and go again! 📘
- K: I am an American. Where are you from?
- D: I am from Canada. I am Canadian.
- K: What are Canadians like?
- D: They are similar to Americans but nicer!
- K: That’s not true!
Learn the following new skills 📘
1) to be + from + country/city
- I am from the USA
- We are from Canada.
- He is from Seoul.
- They are from London.
2) to be + nationality
- You are Italian.
- We are Chinese.
- I am Russian.
- She is Arabian.
3) We never use the article “the” in front of a country. 📘
- I am from Japan
- She is from Canada.
- They are from China.
- We are from Russia.
Exceptions: the US, the UK, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, the Philippines 📘
- I am from the Netherlands.
- He is from the Czech Republic.
- They are from the Philippines.
- We are from the UK (United Kingdom)
Go over the below vocabulary & expressions with your tutor. 📘
|American||people from the USA|
|Canadian||people from Canada|
|Australian||people from Australia|
|Japanese||people from Japan|
|Chinese||people from China|
|Arabian||people from the Arab nations|
|European||people from Europe|
|Turkish||people from Turkey|
|Spanish||people from Spain|
|British||people from the UK|
|Korean||people from Korea|
|Brazilian||people from Brazil|
Make a sentence with where the person is from. 📘
- I am American. I am from the US.
- She is Brazilian. _________________.
- They are Spanish. _____________.
- We are Canadian. _____________.
- You are Russian. ______________.
Fill in the blank with the correct nationality. 📘
- We are from Japan. We are Japanese.
- You are from Brazil. You are ________.
- She is from Turkey. She is __________.
- He is from South Korea. He is _______.
- They are from France. They are ______.
Make a sentence using the words. 📘
- (we, from, are, England) We are from England.
- (am, Paris, from, I) _________________.
- (she, Miami, is, from) ________________.
- (Beijing, are, they, from) _______________.
- (you, from, UK, the, are) _______________.
Fill in the blank with the nationality. 📘
- The nationality of someone from Turkey is Turkish.
- The nationality of someone from Australia is _________.
- The nationality of someone from Thailand is _________.
- The nationality of someone from South Korea is ______.
- The nationality of someone from Great Britain is ______.
- Where are you from? What is your nationality?
- Where is your tutor from? What is his/her nationality?
- What countries have you been to?
- Describe what people from your country are like.
(Image Source: http://www.vocabulary.cl/Basic/Nationalities.htm)