Practice by reading the dialogue with your tutor. After you are done, switch roles and do it again! 📘
- K: I’m hungry. Are you ready to eat?
- D: You’re always hungry. I’m not hungry.
- K: Hurry up!
- D: You get mad when you’re hungry.
Using the verb “to be” in the simple present tense (positive, negative, and in a question). 📘
- I am tired. 📘
- He/she is mad. 📘
- You are funny. 📘
- They are sleepy. 📘
- We are sad. 📘
- Are you hungry? 📘
- Is she happy? 📘
- Am I ready? 📘
- She is not mad. 📘
Using contractions 📘
- I am = I’m
- you are = you’re
- he is = he’s
- she is = she’s
- it is = it’s
- they are = they’re
- we are = we’re
Go over the vocabulary and expressions below with your tutor. 📘
Fill in the blank with am, is, or are. 📘
- She is tired.
- Kevin and I _____ ready.
- Are you _____ sad?
- I _____ sleepy.
- The cat _____ hungry.
Change the underlined words to a contraction. 📘
- They are mad. They’re
- We are hungry. ______
- You are sleepy. ______
- I am ready. ______
- He is tired. ______
Make questions using the words. 📘
- (Kevin, mad, is) Is Kevin mad?
- (are, ready, they ) ________.
- (he, tired, is) ____________.
- (Kevin, Dorothy, and, hungry, are ) _________.
- (sleepy, Dorothy, is) ___________.
Fill in the blank using the negative of am, is, or are. 📘
- She is not ready.
- We _______ tired.
- They _______ sleepy.
- The cat _______ hungry.
- I _______ sad.
- How are you feeling right now?
- When was the last time you were sad?
- When was the last time you were mad?
- Describe your tutor’s personality.