Read the diagram below out loud with your tutor. Then describe the weather today to your tutor using some of the new words.
Practice by reading the dialogue with your tutor. After you are done, switch roles and do it again!
- K: Do you like the hot or cold weather?
- D: I like both. If it’s hot, I go to the beach. If it’s cold, I will turn up the heat.
- K: It was raining earlier. Do you like either rain or snow?
- D: I like neither rain nor snow. Though if it had rained earlier with the sun out, there would have been a nice rainbow.
Using “both,” “either,” and “neither”
Read the diagram below out loud with your tutor. Then make a sample sentence on your own using one of the words.
Read the diagram below out loud with your tutor. Then practice saying a conditional sentence that applies to your own life.
Answer the following personal questions about the weather. Use a complete sentence and use the weather vocabulary above.
- What’s the weather like in your city now? It’s hot and humid. The forecast is calling for thundershowers.
- What’s the weather like in your country in the winter? __________________________________________________.
- What’s the weather like in your country in the summer? __________________________________________________.
- Describe the weather in another city you visited. __________________________________________________.
- Describe the type of weather you enjoy the most. __________________________________________________.
Fill in the blank with a word about the weather to complete the first conditional sentence.
- If there’s a downpour, it will flood the streets.
- If it (1) _____________, we will build a snowman.
- If it’s (2) ___________, it will rain.
- If it’s (3) ___________, I will put on a coat.
- If it’s (4) ___________, I will turn on the air conditioner.
Fill in the blanks with both/and, either/or, neither/nor, or both, either, and neither by themselves.
- Neither a blizzard nor a hurricane will stop superman.
- (5) __________ snow (6) _________ sleet can make the roads slippery.
- I have never seen snow. (7) ______________ have I.
- It will be (8) ___________ cold (9) ________ freezing tomorrow.
- (10) __________ of the weather channels are forecasting it to be freezing and blustery next week.
- What is the weather typically like in your country? How is it in the summer compared to the winter?
- Do you like both rain and sunshine, or just one or the other? Why?
- Describe your ideal weather. What kind of activities do you like to do outside?
- Does your family also enjoy the same type of weather as you do? Does anyone in your family enjoy various kinds weather? Why?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?