Practice by reading the dialogue with your tutor. After you are done, switch roles and do it again!
- K: I’m going to get another cup of coffee. Do you want something else?
- D: I’ll take an Americano with a shot of vanilla syrup. Could you also bring me two packets of sugar?
- K: You got it! Do you want anything to eat?
- D: I want a sandwich, but I don’t like what’s on the menu. Could you ask them if they have other choices?
- K: Sure, I will ask them. Two cups of Joe and 1 sandwich coming right up!
Using “another,” “other,” and “others”
Read the diagram below out loud with your tutor. Then try coming up with a sentence using each of the three words.
“Others” as a pronoun
“Others” can be used as a pronoun. It means the same as “other ones.”
- I don’t like these postcards. Let’s ask for others. (others = other postcards)
- Some of the teachers arrived on Monday. Others arrived the following day. (others = other teachers)
- [make your own sentence]
Using “the others”
“Others” sometimes means “other people,” and “the others” sometimes means “the other people.”
- He has no interest in helping others. (others = other people)
- What are the others doing tonight? (the others = the other people)
- [make your own sentence using “others” and “the others”]
What is the difference between “other” and “others”?
“Other” is followed by a noun or a pronoun. “Others” is NOT followed by a noun or pronoun.
- These shoes are too small. Do you have any other shoes? (followed by a noun)
- These shoes are too small. Do you have any others? (no noun after others)
- [make your own sentence]
Common ways to express containers and quantities.
Read the diagram below out loud with your tutor. Then practice making a few sentences with some of the items.
Fill in the blank with “another,” “other,” or “others.”
- Could you tell the others to come to the coffee shop?
- I want (1) ____________ glass of water, as I’m done with this one.
- (2) __________ people want to order coffee and food.
- The (3) __________ asked for coffee to go.
- She doesn’t like the (4) _________ types of coffee.
Practice placing a to go order from your favorite restaurant. Be creative!
This order is to go. I want a large iced mocha with milk and one packet of sugar. In addition, I want an egg sandwich with cheese. Could I get an extra slice of cheese on the sandwich, please?
Fill in the blank with the correct container or quantity. Several answers may be correct.
- How many rolls of toilet paper are in the bathroom?
- She wants a (5) ________ of tea and I would like a (6) ________ of water.
- If you go to the supermarket, I need a (7) ________ of flour, a (8) __________ of milk, and a (9) ____________ of ice cream.
- To make a toasted cheese sandwich you need two (10) ____________ of bread and two (11) ___________ of cheese.
- My mother asked me to buy a (12) _________ of tape, a (13) ________ of scissors, and (14) ___________ of thread.
Come up with 4 sentences using “another,” “other,” “others.” Try to use some examples of containers and quantities in your sentences.
- The other day I bought another tube of toothpaste.
- What have you done recently to help others? Did you enjoy how it felt?
- Describe the ingredients and quantities you need to make your favorite dish.
- Who is your best friend? How do you treat one another?
- What items do you currently have in your kitchen? Describe both the item and the quantity.
(6) glass / cup
(8) quart / half-gallon / gallon / carton