Repeat after the tutor.
- I tend to wake up late.
- I tend to talk slowly.
- You tend to cry too much.
- This company tends to hire only men.
- My parents tend to be too strict.
- I tend not to focus.
- You tend not to work hard.
- We tend not to drink enough water.
- I tend not to be careful.
- Their design tends not to be unique.
- I tend to eat too fast.
- I tend to work too hard.
- You tend to lie too much.
- You tend to smile too much.
- He tends to sleep too long.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|sensitive||(adj) easily upset by the things that people think or say about you
e.g. I tend to be sensitive when people yell at me.
|strict||(adj) used to describe a command, rule, etc., that must be obeyed
e.g. The teacher tends to be strict with her students.
|focus||(v) to cause (something, such as attention) to be directed at something specific
e.g. We have a tendency to focus on the positive.
|unique||(adj) used to say that something or someone is unlike anything or anyone else
e.g. She had a tendency to find unique clothes in the store.
|selfish||(adj) having or showing concern only for yourself and not for the needs or feelings of other people
e.g. He tends to be selfish with his food.
|vegetable||(n) a plant or plant part that is eaten as food
e.g. I tend to eat more vegetables than fruit.
|apologize||(v) to express regret for doing or saying something wrong : to give or make an apology
e.g. I have a tendency to apologize for everything.
|honest||(adj) good and truthful : not lying, stealing, or cheating
e.g. She tends to be honest and tells the truth.
|late||(v) doing something after the usual time or after others usually do
e.g. He tends to be late to class a lot.
|smile||(n) an expression on your face that makes the corners of your mouth turn up and that shows happiness, pleasure, affection, etc.
e.g. I smile when I am happy.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- tend / fast / I / too / to / eat / .
- too / you / smile / tend / much / to / .
- I / eat / not / vegetables / tend / to / .
- understand / tends / he / to / not / women / .
- my / apologize / tends / to / girlfriend / not / first / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- I tend working too hard.
- He tend to sleep too long.
- I tend being lazy.
- She doesn’t to help her parents.
- I tend to be not honest
- Answer the following questions.
- Describe your personality. (use “tend to V”)
- Describe your habits. (use “tend to V”)
- Describe common characteristics of people from your country. (use “tend to V”)
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- A foreign visitor has only one day to spend in your country. Where should this visitor go on that day? Why?
- If you could go back to some time and place in the past, when and where would you go? Why?