Repeat after the tutor.
- I told you to stay here.
- I told him to focus.
- She told me to lie to you.
- They told me to change my name.
- I didn’t tell you to go there.
- We didn’t tell him to drive.
- I told you not to come.
- He told me not to touch him.
- Did you tell her to pay $100?
- Did he tell you to quit?
- I told you to call me yesterday.
- I told you to study this chapter.
- I told you to drink a lot of water.
- I told you not to call me late.
- I told you not to read my email.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|chapter||(n) one of the main sections of a book
e.g. I told the students to finish 2 chapters tonight.
|(n) a system for sending messages from one computer to another computer
e.g. He told her to send an email.
|document||(n) an official paper that gives information about something or that is used as proof of something
e.g. I told him that he needs to sign the document.
|respond||(v) to say or write something as an answer to a question or request : reply
e.g. Did you tell him to respond to my question?
|follow up with||(idiom) the act of following up with someone or something.
e.g. I told him to follow up with me to see what my answer will be.
|appreciate||(v) to understand the worth or importance of (something or someone) : to admire and value (something or someone)
e.g. She told him that she appreciated his help.
|compliment||(n/v) a remark that says something good about someone or something
e.g. I told you to compliment her sweater.
|formal||(adj) requiring or using serious and proper clothes and manners
e.g. I told him to wear a formal suit to the dance tonight.
|casual||(adj) not formal; happening by chance : not planned or expected
e.g. I told her that she can dress casual for the party.
|correspond||(v) to have a direct relationship to or with something
e.g. Each number corresponds to a location on the map.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- this / study / you / I / told / to / chapter / .
- water / you / told / I / drink / to / a lot of / .
- read / not / I / told / email / you / to / my / .
- Monica / hate / me / told / not / her / to / .
- with / her / did / to / tell / you / stay / you / ?
- Correct the following sentences.
- I don’t told you to call me late.
- I told not him to drive my car.
- I haven’t tell them to follow me.
- Grace told me don’t eat chicken.
- Did he tell you to stealing this document?
- Answer the following questions.
- What did your parents tell you often when growing up? (use “tell S to V”)
- What would you like to tell the president of your country? (use “tell S to V”)
- What are some common things that people say to their girlfriends/boyfriends? (use “tell S to V”)
- (Homework) Write a paragraph (5-10 sentences).
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- When people move to another country, some of them decide to follow the customs of the new country. Others prefer to keep their own customs. Compare these two choices. Which one do you prefer? Support your answer with specific details.
- What is your favorite song and why?