Repeat after the tutor.
- It turns out he is Superman.
- It turns out she is not Japanese.
- It turns out I have a sister.
- It turns out we don’t have enough money.
- It turns out today is our anniversary.
- It turns out it was my fault.
- It turns out they didn’t come to the party.
- It turns out she was mad.
- It turns out those were not my shoes.
- It turns out we had a chance.
- It turns out I am her son.
- It turns out she is a cool girl.
- It turns out he is famous.
- It turns out they are my parents.
- It turns out this is his book.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|send sthg back||(idiom) return (usually by mail)
e.g. My letter got sent back to me because I used the wrong stamp.
|set sthg up||(idiom) arrange, organize
e.g. Our boss set a meeting up with the president of the company.
|set sby up||(idiom) trick, trap
e.g. The police set up the car thief by using a hidden camera.
|shop around||(idiom) compare prices
e.g. I want to shop around a little before I decide on these boots.
|show off||(idiom) act extra special for people watching (usually boastfully)
e.g. He always shows off on his skateboard
|sleep over||(idiom) sleep over stay somewhere for the night (informal)
e.g. You should tonight if the weather is too bad to drive home.
|sort sthg out||(idiom)organize, resolve a problem
e.g. We need to sort the bills out before the first of the month.
|stick to sthg||(idiom) continue doing sthg, limit yourself to one particular thing
e.g. You will lose weight if you stick to the diet.
|switch sthg off||(idiom) stop the energy flow, turn off
e.g. The light’s too bright. Could you switch it off.
|switch sthg on||(idiom) start the energy flow, turn on
e.g. We heard the news as soon as we switched on the car radio.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- he / turns / it / is / famous / out / .
- today / out / turns / it / my / is / birthday / .
- it / was / out / it / turns / my / mistake / .
- school / they / out / it / didn’t / go / turns / to / .
- it / problem / wasn’t / out / it / turns / my / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- It turns out this is a his book.
- It turns out she has two phone.
- It turns out they live at France.
- It turns out he works yesterday.
- It turns out he doesn’t study yesterday.
- Answer the following questions.
- Who is the killer? (use “it turns out”)
- Who is the new employee? (use “it turns out”)
- Tell a story that has a different ending than what you expected. (use “it turns out”)
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Tell how to get someone to fall in love with you.
- Tell about a “close call” you had recently.