Repeat after the tutor.
- Joe turns out to be shy.
- My sister turns out to be selfish.
- My teacher turns out to be single.
- She turns out to be a nurse.
- They turn out to be bad guys.
- He turned out to be generous.
- Kirk turned out to be small-minded.
- She turned out to be the killer.
- The cop turned out to be a ghost.
- It turned out to be my turn.
- He turns out to be my father.
- She turns out to be my student.
- They turn out to be his friends.
- James turns out to be kind.
- Joy turns out to be smart.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|take after sby||(v) resemble a family member I take after my mother.
e.g. We are both impatient.
|take sthg apart||(v)purposely break into pieces
e.g. He took the car brakes apart and found the problem.
|turn sthg off stop||(v)the energy flow, switch off
e.g. Your mother wants you to turn the TV off and come for dinner.
|turn sthg on||(v)start the energy, switch on It’s too dark in here.
e.g. Let’s turn some lights on.
|turn sthg up||(v)increase the volume or strength (heat, light etc)
e.g. Can you turn the music up? This is my favourite song.
|turn up||(v)appear suddenly
e.g. Our cat turned up after we put posters up all over the neighbourhood.
|try sthg on||(v)sample clothing
e.g. I’m going to try these jeans on, but I don’t think they will fit.
|try sthg out .||(v)test
e.g. I am going to try this new brand of detergent out
|use sthg up||(v)finish the supply
e.g. The kids used all of the toothpaste up so we need to buy some more.
|wake up||(v)stop sleeping
e.g. We have to wake up early for work on Monday.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- to / my / student / turns / out / she / be / .
- be / my / doctor / out / to / a / boyfriend / turns / .
- he / Korea / out / be / turns / to / in / famous / .
- they / honest / out / to / turned / be / .
- Gina / out / single / turned / to / be / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- They turns out to be his friends.
- They turn out to lazy.
- He turned out to be liar.
- Brian turned out to be rich or famous.
- Clark turned out to be a Superman.
- Answer the following questions.
- Who is Darth Vader? (use “turn out..”)
- What was your friend’s big secret? (use “turn out..”)
- Talk about a movie that had an unexpected ending. (use “turn out..”)
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Tell about a time when you were treated unfairly.
- What is your opinion about fortune telling?