Repeat after the tutor.
- I don’t have to pay the rent.
- You don’t have to quit your job.
- She doesn’t have to eat that.
- We don’t have to hide the truth.
- Sara doesn’t have to move to Indiana.
- I didn’t have to explain.
- She didn’t have to pass the interview.
- They didn’t have to yell at me.
- Tasha didn’t have to do anything.
- You didn’t have to cook for me.
- I don’t have to work today.
- I don’t have to go to school tomorrow.
- I don’t have to leave now.
- You don’t have to do this.
- You don’t have to study with me.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|submit||(v) to give (a document, proposal, piece of writing, etc.) to someone so that it can be considered or approved
e.g. You don’t have to submit your application until January 31st.
|coy||(adj) having a shy or sweetly innocent quality that is often intended to be attractive or to get attention
e.g. She doesn’t have to be so coy.
|assume||(v) to think that something is true or probably true without knowing that it is true
e.g. You don’t have to assume this is true.
|burn down||(v) to be destroyed by fire
e.g. He didn’t have to burn down the entire building.
|require||(v) to need (something)
e.g. We don’t have to require your assistance anymore.
|necessary||(adj) so important that you must do it or have it : absolutely needed
e.g. You don’t have to go to class tomorrow, it is not necessary.
|appoint||(v) to choose (someone) to have a particular job : to give (someone) a position or duty
e.g. She didn’t have to appoint a new leader for the club.
|bring about||(phrasal verb) to cause (something)
e.g. She doesn’t have to bring about change.
|ease||(n) freedom from pain or trouble : comfort of body or mind
e.g. You don’t have to do this with ease.
|bring down||(phrasal verb) to cause (someone or something) to fall down onto the ground
e.g. You don’t have to bring down the books from the tables.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- have/ school / don’t / to / I / go / tomorrow / to / .
- have /anything / doesn’t / she / pay / to / .
- e-mail / have / to / didn’t / write / the / I / .
- to / he / up / didn’t / give / have / .
- photo / you / have / to / didn’t / submit / your / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- I don’t have to leave yesterday.
- He doesn’t have to help for me.
- They don’t have to ask to me.
- He don’t have to stay here.
- You didn’t had to do this.
- Answer the following questions.
- Have you ever been told not to do something but you did it anyways?
- What do you do when you don’t have to go to school?
- Where do you go to eat when you don’t have to cook?
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Through the window: Go to the nearest window. Look out for a full minute. Write about what you saw.
- Burning down the house: Your home is on fire. Grab five items (assume all people and animals are safe). What did you grab?