insert image here (ratio 2:1 if possible)
Repeat after the tutor.
- You can’t be hungry.
- It can’t be my mistake.
- We can’t be related.
- This building can’t be yours.
- She can’t be your friend.
- San Diego can’t be dangerous.
- He can’t be Mark Zuckerburg.
- Michael Jackson can’t be dead.
- This exam can’t be difficult.
- They can’t be twins.
- I can’t be your sister.
- You can’t be my sister.
- He can’t be Brad Pitt.
- It can’t be my fault.
- This Tiffany ring can’t be yours.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|rain||(n) water falling in drops condensed from vapor in the atmosphere
e.g. It can’t be raining tomorrow, we’re going to the picnic.
|burst into||(phrasal verb) to begin to produce or do (something) suddenly
e.g. She burst into tears but it can’t be your fault.
|revisit||(v) to visit again : return to
e.g. We can’t be revisiting the museum again.
|twist||(v) to unite by winding : to mingle by interlacing
e.g. Those ropes can’t be twisted.
|unbelievable||(adj) too improbable for belief : too hard to believe
e.g. That story was unbelievable.
|butter up||(phrasal verb) to treat (someone) very well or kindly in order to get something
e.g. He’s busy buttering up potential clients.
|imagine||(v) to form a mental image of
e.g. I can’t be imagining this.
|recognize||(v) to acknowledge or take notice of in some definite way
e.g. I couldn’t recognize you without your glasses on.
|doubt||(v) to call into question the truth of : to be uncertain
e.g. That can’t be true, I am doubting you.
|who cares?||(idiom) used to stress that something is not important.
e.g. He can’t carry a tune, but who cares? He’s having fun and that’s what matters.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- can’t / my / fault / it / be / .
- be / Justin Bieber / brother / your / can’t / .
- my / be / can’t / teacher / lazy / .
- bag / real / be / Louis Vuitton / can’t / her / .
- story / can’t / it / a / true / be / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- This Tiffany ring can’t be your.
- This movie can’t be fun.
- Today can’t be the Valentine’s Day.
- This car can’t be made of China.
- The lazy man’s room can’t be cleaned.
- Answer the following questions.
- Try to imagine somewhere you went on vacation. Describe it.
- Have you ever heard a story that was unbelievable? What was it?
- Have you ever buttered up to someone to try to get something?
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Childhood revisited: Sure, you turned out pretty good, but is there anything you wish had been different about your childhood? If you have kids, is there anything you wish were different for them?
- Teachable moment: You have to learn a new skill. Do you prefer to read about it, watch someone else do it, hear someone describe it, or try it yourself?