Repeat after the tutor.
- Are you supposed to write an essay?
- Am I supposed to see the president?
- Is she supposed to show her ID?
- Are we supposed to sit here?
- Was I supposed to use this password?
- Were you supposed to change the font?
- Were we supposed to send this package?
- Aren’t you supposed to wait for your boss?
- Aren’t you supposed to go to work now?
- Isn’t she supposed to teach this chapter?
- Am I supposed to work tomorrow?
- Am I supposed to call her now?
- Am I supposed to help Brian?
- Am I supposed to pick up John?
- Am I supposed to send this package?
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|grown up||(adj) not childish or immature
e.g. Are we supposed to feel like grown ups?
|slip||(v) to slide : to lose your balance especially on a slippery surface
e.g. Are you supposed to put salt on the ice so people don’t slip?
|dismiss||(v) to decide not to think about or consider
e.g. Am I supposed to dismiss that idea?
|chicken out||(phrasal verb) to decide not to do something because you are afraid
e.g. Am I supposed to go to that event or can I chicken out?
|step back||(v) to stop doing something or being actively involved in something
e.g. Are you supposed to step back so that I can have a turn?
|chip in||(phrasal verb) to give something (such as money) to help a person, group, or cause
e.g. Are we each supposed to chip in 10 dollars?
|habit||(n) a usual way of behaving : something that a person does often in a regular and repeated way
e.g. Were you supposed to quit that bad habit?
|belief||(n) a feeling of being sure that someone or something exists or that something is true
e.g. Is she supposed to hold onto her beliefs?
|responsibility||(n) the state of being the person who caused something to happen
e.g. Are we supposed to take the responsibility for this accident?
|deal with||(phrasal verb) to handle, take care of (problem, situation)
e.g. Is she supposed to deal with this problem by herself?
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- to / them / supposed / is / visit / she / today / ?
- follow / supposed / are / him / we / to / ?
- there / I / to / go / supposed / was / ?
- go / aren’t / to / you / to / school / supposed ?
- work / isn’t / go / to / supposed / to / she / ?
- Correct the following sentences.
- Am I supposed to work yesterday?
- Am I supposed to helping Brian?
- Are they supposed to come in this meeting?
- Were we supposed to stayed here?
- Isn’t she supposed go to work?
- Answer the following questions.
- Have you ever had to deal with a problem? What was it?
- What are your various responsibilities? (use “I’m supposed to”)
- Have you ever chickened out before? What was it?
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Perspective: Write about the last disagreement you had with a friend or family member — from their perspective.
- All grown up: When was the first time you really felt like a grown up (if ever)?