Repeat after the tutor.
- I should’ve hung out with Juliana.
- You should’ve come to the concert.
- We should’ve left early.
- He should’ve notified his boss.
- She should’ve bought the pink scarf.
- I shouldn’t have said anything.
- You shouldn’t have driven my Ferrari.
- He shouldn’t have read her message.
- She shouldn’t have gone home late.
- They shouldn’t have fired Nathan.
- You should’ve worked today.
- I should’ve called the police.
- We should’ve locked the door.
- He should’ve washed his hands.
- She should’ve quit her job.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|rescue||(v) to save (someone or something) from danger or harm
e.g. You should have tried to rescue the kittens from the river.
|oversleep||(v) to sleep past the time when you planned to get up
e.g. You shouldn’t have overslept, you were late.
|notify||(v) to tell (someone) officially about something
e.g. You should have notified to police about the incident.
|quote||(v) to repeat (something written or said by another person) exactly
e.g. I shouldn’t have quoted him.
|reverse||(v) to change (something) to an opposite state or condition
e.g. You shouldn’t have told her to reverse the car.
|train||(v) to teach (someone) the skills needed to do something (such as a job) : to give instruction to (someone)
e.g. She shouldn’t have asked him to train her at work.
|expect||(v) to think that something will probably or certainly happen
e.g. You should expect this movie to be really good.
|amaze||(v) to surprise and sometimes confuse (someone) very much : to fill (someone) with wonder
e.g. You should have tried to amaze him with your singing.
|show your true colors||(idiom) to show what you are really like : to reveal your real nature or character
e.g. You should’ve shown your true colors when you met him.
|trade||(v) the activity or process of buying, selling, or exchanging goods or services
e.g. You should have traded in your car for a newer model.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- you / today / worked / should’ve / .
- should’ve / hands / washed / his / he / .
- Florida / should’ve / they / to / moved / .
- have / we / money / invested / our / shouldn’t / .
- have / shouldn’t / her / Jeremy / dumped / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- I should called the police.
- We should’ve been locked the door.
- He should has started his business.
- They should’ve not sold their store.
- You shouldn’t have sang this song.
- Answer the following questions.
- Have you ever overslept and been late for something?
- Have you ever been trained at work or have you trained someone? How did it go?
- Talk about a time you shouldn’t have told someone something but you did anyways.
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Silver screen: Take a quote from your favorite movie — there’s the title of your post. Now, write!
- 180 degrees: Tell us about a time you did a 180 — changed your views on something, reversed a decision, or acted in a way you ordinarily don’t.