Repeat after the tutor.
- Why are you here?
- Why are you happy?
- Why are you coughing?
- Why are you eating salad?
- Why are you dancing here?
- Why are you bleeding?
- Why are they running away?
- Why is he laughing?
- Why was he depressed?
- Why were you sad?
- Why do you study English?
- Why do you always lie?
- Why did you wake up early?
- Why did she leave early?
- Why did they push you?
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|east||(n) the general direction of sunrise
e.g. Why are we heading East? The map says we should be travelling West.
|egg||(n) a rounded body surrounded by a shell by which some animals (as birds, fish, insects, and reptiles) reproduce
e.g. Why don’t we have eggs for breakfast? They are very healthy
|fish||(n) a animal with gills and fins and living wholly in water.
e.g. Why is the fish not moving? Has it been out of the water for too long?
|luck||(v) success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one’s own actions
e.g. Why do you think four leaf clovers are considered lucky?
|north||(n) the direction in which a compass needle normally points
e.g. Why does the compass always point North?
|play||(v) engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose
e.g. Why don’t you want to play cards with me?
|south||(n) the direction that is to your right when you are facing the rising sun
e.g. Why do birds fly South for the winter?
|tree||(n) a plant having a permanently woody main stem or trunk
e.g. Why do trees grow so tall in the rain forest?
|west||(n) the general direction of sunset
e.g. Why does the sun set in the West?
|white||(adj) of the color of milk or fresh snow
e.g. Why do animals living in the arctic have white-colored fur?
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- that / buy / expires / today / milk / why / you / did ?
- to / mall / the / why / shopping / they / did / go ?
- mean / why / someone / would / so / be ?
- today / work / are / at / you / why ?
- blue / is / why / sky / the ?
- Correct the following sentences.
- Why did you helped him?
- Why did you tell them wear we are?
- Why was the Baseball team so bad?
- Why are their penguins in Antarctica?
- Why is the air colder at the north pole?
- Answer the following questions.
- Why do you think your home country is a good or bad place to live? Why?
- Why do you want to learn English?
- Why do you think so many people use to Internet?
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Why do you think the Internet is a good (or bad!) place to learn a new language? Write a paragraph about your experiences so far.
- CSI Drama! Imagine that you are an investigator on the popular show CSI. What kind of ‘why’ questions would you want to ask a potential criminal in order the find out what really happened? Write out 5 questions you would ask.