Repeat after the tutor.
- How come nobody is here?
- How come you are not working?
- How come you are always late?
- How come we are not happy?
- How come we are not rich?
- How come you work every day?
- How come you lie to me again?
- How come he moved to Hollywood?
- How come they don’t care?
- How come they don’t know you?
- How come he doesn’t thank you?
- How come you didn’t help me?
- How come you didn’t call me?
- How come she didn’t come?
- How come we didn’t know?
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|machine||(n) an apparatus using mechanical power and having several parts, each with a definite function and together performing a particular task
e.g. How come a machine is now taking the place of my job?
|marry||(v) When two people get married or marry , they legally become partners in a special ceremony
e.g. How come my sister will marry before me, even though she is younger?
|nature||(n) the physical world and everything in it (such as plants, animals, mountains, oceans, stars, etc.)
e.g. How come humans are destroying nature?
|official||(adj) relating to an authority or public body and its duties, actions, and responsibilities.
e.g. How come the Queen of England is the official head of Canada?
|orbit||(n) the curved path of a celestial object or spacecraft around a star, planet, or moon
e.g. How come the earth is part of the sun’s orbit?
|party||(n) a social gathering of invited guests, typically involving eating, drinking, and entertainment
e.g. How come I wasn’t invited to the party?
|quake||(v) (especially of the earth) shake or tremble.
e.g. How come I didn’t hear the earth quake?
|rare||(adj) (of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often.
e.g. How come the rare diamonds are so expensive?
|record||(n) Document that memorializes and provides objective evidence of activities performed, events occurred, results achieved, or statements made
e.g.How come you did not record the meeting?
|repair||(v) to fix or mend (a thing suffering from damage or a fault)
e.g. How come you could not repair the damages on my car?
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- you / catch / how / the / come / police / did /not
- food / tonight / how / dinner / come / is / there / no / for
- qualify / did / how / soccer / come / the / did / team / not
- everyone / come / left / office / so / how / early / the
- blue / is / how / the / come / sky
- Correct the following sentences.
- How came the stars twinkle in the sky?
- How come elephants are sew big?
- How come the train are always late?
- How come she never know the answer?
- How come some mushrooms is poisonous?
- Answer the following questions.
- How come you decided to start studying English?
- How come the Internet cuts out sometimes?
- How come weather is so unpredictable these days?
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- ‘How come’ is often used in the same context as ‘will’. Can you explain the difference between them? Which one is better English?
- Practice: imagine you got a call from a friend who was taken to the police station! Think of three ‘how come’ questions you would first want to ask.