This content is recommended for 30~60 minute sessions. Note that tutors may not be familiar with the content. Make sure you consult with your tutor before using this material.
After a quick greeting, read the following article out loud. Your tutor will go over pronunciation if necessary.
[P1] Valentine’s Day gifts can be tough to shop for. Do you go for something funny rather than sentimental? Something personalized? Or would you and your partner prefer to share an experience rather than buy a traditional gift?
[P2] The one thing that’s a bit easier to control is the card, especially if you’re a couple that has at least one TV show you like to watch with each other. Thanks to boutique sites like Etsy, you can get some pretty thoughtful, sentimental, and handmade cards for less than what you’ll find at the corner store.
[P3] You can book a weekend to Paris too, but a nice card that also serves as an inside joke can be a fun addition to an already thoughtful gesture. Plus, this one they’ll get to keep. Check out 15 of the best TV-inspired Valentine’s Day cards below:
1. Game of Thrones: “I’ve Fallen Harder For You Than Bran Stark”
2. Game of Thrones: “I Hodor You”
3. Game of Thrones: “You Warm My Cold Dead Heart”
4. The Office: “My Heart Only Beets For You”
5. The Office: “My Heart Soars With The Eagles Nest”
6. The Office: “Happy Valentine’s Day To Da Bell of Da Ball”
7. Star Wars: “I Love You Sith Much”
8. Star Wars: “Valentine’s Day… It’s A Trap!”
9. Star Wars: “I’m In Love With You”
10. Stranger Things: “My Dart Belongs To You”
11. Stranger Things: “Pretty…Good. You Look Pretty Good”
12. Stranger Things: “You Are Demogorgeous”
13. Friends: “Could I Be More Into You?”
14. Friends: “I’d Drink The Fat For You”
15. Friends: “You’re My Lobster”
Read the word/expression and definition out loud. Your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|sentimental||(adj) having or expressing strong feelings of love, sadness, etc., in a way that may seem foolish or excessive
e.g. I tend to get very sentimental when I think about my childhood.
|corner store||(n) a small store selling groceries and a limited range of household goods in a mainly residential area.
e.g. “I bought a carton of milk at the corner store“
|inside joke||(n) a joke that is shared exclusively by a small group of people.
e.g. “the album title, like many of their songs, is based on an inside joke“
|gesture||(n) something said or done to show a particular feeling or attitude
e.g. a thoughtful/polite/friendly gesture
|soar||(v) to rise quickly upward to a great height
e.g. The rocket soared into the sky.
Use the following questions as a guideline to help develop an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Summarize the article in your own words.
- Do you get all the references to the show? Which do you think is the funniest?
- How do you celebrate Valentine’s Day in your country?
- What’s your plan for Valentine’s Day? Share your thoughts with your Cambly tutor!