Repeat after the tutor.
- Do your best not to make a mistake.
- Be careful not to wake up the baby.
- Fasten your seatbelt not to get hurt.
- I am exercising not to get sick.
- I am running not to be late.
- I am waiting here not to miss the bus.
- She is trying not to lose control.
- Kenny is writing down my number not to forget it.
- We worked hard not to get fired.
- They tried not to fall.
- I have to work not to lose my job.
- We have to practice not to disappoint our coach.
- Are you trying not to cry?
- Did you run away not to do your homework?
- Did you leave not to fight?
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|do-over||(phrasal verb) to do something over: to do something again
They were planning to do over the living room.
|imperfection||(n) a small flaw or bad part
She saw a few imperfections in the gem.
|unsatisfied||(adj) not dealt with in a way that provides what is needed or wanted
The unsatisfied customer wanted a refund.
|cherish||(v) to feel or show great love for someone or something: to remember or hold in a deeply felt way
She will always cherish what he did for her.
|character||(n) the way someone thinks, feels and behaves: someone’s personality
They rarely saw her true character.
|appreciate||(v) to understand the worth or importance of something or someone: to admire and value: to be grateful for
I really appreciate your kindness.
|treasure||(n) something valuable that is hidden or kept in a safe place: something that is very special, important or valuable
When I went home, I took my childhood treasures back.
|blemish||(n) a mark that makes something imperfect or less beautiful
The table had a blemish on the fine finish.
|glitch||(n) an unexpected and usually minor problem
The speaker had a glitch in his presentation that caused delays.
|flaw||(n) a small fault or weakness
The student had a few flaws in his presentation.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- had / We / baby / the / wake / quiet / to / be / not / to / .
- cooking / I / hungry / be / to / am / not / .
- healthy / sick / get / eating / is / She / not / to / .
- tried / She / complain / too / much / not / to / .
- waiting / was / bus / the / miss / He / not / to / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- You should study to not to miss learning.
- We’re you trying not to laugh?
- Walk quietly to not to wake him up.
- He not to miss out.
- They tried not to breaks the plates.
- Answer the following questions.
- What is a reason why you would work hard?
- When at work, what should you not do?
- What should you do to not make a mistake?
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Do-over: Go back to a blog post you always thought could be better, or were unsatisfied with — now, fix it.
- Imperfection: Imperfections — in things, in people, in places — add character to life. Tell us about an imperfection that you cherish.