Repeat after the tutor.
- She is healthy despite her age.
- She is trying despite her weakness.
- She is driving despite this bad weather.
- She is humble despite her success.
- He is positive despite many problems.
- We are running despite my bankruptcy.
- I am not depressed despite my low score.
- We are not tired despite the hard work.
- They were not sad despite their loss.
- I woke up early despite my laziness.
- He gave up his dream despite our support.
- She went to work despite her bad condition.
- She didn’t say anything despite my mistake.
- He didn’t cry despite his plan.
- They didn’t pick me despite my passion.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|bankruptcy||(n) a condition of financial failure caused by not having the money that you need to pay your debts
After they lost their clients, they filed for bankruptcy.
|loss||(n) a failure to keep or continue to have something
The flu caused a loss of appetite.
|overlook||(v) to fail to see or notice something
The detective didn’t overlook any details.
|communicate||(v) to give information about something to someone by speaking, writing, etc.
Please communicate the instructions to the students.
|purely||(adv) completely or only
They ran into each other purely by chance.
|emotion||(n) a strong feeling – such as love, anger, joy, hate or fear
He found it difficult to express his emotions.
|medium||(adj) in the middle of a range of possible sizes, amounts, etc.
She was of medium height.
|intent||(n) the thing that you plan to do or achieve
It was her intent to finish the project.
|define||(v) to explain the meaning of a word, phrase, etc.
Could you please define what that word means?
|obstacle||(n) something that makes it difficult to do something
The weather was a major travel obstacle.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- was / loss / despite / He / happy / the / .
- can / go / weather / despite / the / You / .
- It / cold / sunshine / was / the / despite / .
- snow / Are / going / are / you / despite / the / ?
- succeeded / obstacles / the / despite / She / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- He was sad despite presents.
- I failed despite I was studying.
- She wanted to go, despite the cold.
- Are you happy, despite, the bankruptcy?
- The girl wore a t-shirt despite she was in snow.
- Answer the following questions.
- What do you enjoy doing despite whatever weather?
- What is something you have to do despite not liking it?
- What do you love doing despite not being very good at it?
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- The little things: Describe a little thing — one of the things you love that defines your world but is often overlooked.
- It’s a text, text, text world: How do you communicate differently online than in person, if at all? How do you communicate emotion and intent in a purely written medium?