Repeat after the tutor.
- I am running and I am thirsty.
- I am reading a novel, and my wife is cooking.
- I am learning English, and she is learning Chinese.
- I am tired and I want to sleep.
- She is my student, and I am proud of her.
- They are my students, and I love them.
- They are exercising, and I am training them.
- We are watching a movie, and my daughter is eating cookies.
- The tickets were expensive, and we didn’t like the show.
- It’s raining, and I’m listening to a sad song.
- It’s snowing, and I want to go out.
- I live in New York, and she lives in San Francisco.
- I saw Clark, and he ran away.
- She pinched me, and I screamed.
- They hired me, and it was a good decision.
Here are some grammar tips.
Go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Use the illustration above if needed.
|seasoned||(adj) having a log of experience doing something
With a lot of travel experience, the seasoned writer wrote a quality article.
|impossible||(adj) unable to be done or to happen; not possible
The heavy rain made it impossible to see the road.
|local||(adj) located or living nearby
We walked to dinner at a local restaurant nearby.
|flavor||(v) to give or add flavor to (something)
She asked her to flavor the soup with extra spices.
|entry||(n) the act of entering something; the right to enter something
She was denied entry into the store.
|log||(n) a long, heavy section of a tree that has fallen or been cut
He set up a few logs to make a fire.
(v) to make an official record of something
She had to log her hours into the notebook.
|guide||(n) something that helps to direct a person’s action’s, thoughts, etc.
They used the map as a guide for where to go. (v) to direct or lead someone
The map guided them through the narrow paths.
|manage||(v) to have control of (something)
The students were able to manage the workload.
|immediate||(adj) happening or done without delay
The team’s response to the issue was immediate.
|major||(adj) very important
Researchers announced a major breakthrough in cancer research.
Go over the following exercise with your tutors.
- Make a sentence.
- I / lives / in New York / and / live / she / in San Francisco/ .
- they / am / exercising / and / I / training / them / are /.
- they / a / good / hired / it / and / me / was / decision/ .
- show / the tickets / were / and / we / expensive / didn’t / like / the / .
- she / am proud of / I / is / my student / and / her / .
- Correct the following sentences.
- They are my students and I loved them.
- I am reading a novel and my wife cooking.
- It’s raining and I’m listening a sad song.
- It snowing and I want to go out.
- I am tired and I’m wanting to sleep.
- Answer the following questions.
- What two people do you really admire?
- What two things are you doing right now?
- What are you and your tutor doing?
- (Homework) Write a paragraph.
- Write 10 sentences using the grammar you learned today.
- Impossible: “Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” – the White Queen, Alice in Wonderland.
What are the six impossible things you believe in? (If you can only manage one or two, that’s also okay.)
- Local flavor: Write a piece about a typically “local” experience from where you come from as though it’s an entry in a travel guide.