In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: Lookism. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|Lookism||stereotyping individuals or groups based on their physical appearance
e.g. We encourage lookism when we accept that some movie stars are only cast in films because of their good looks.
|Anorexia||a serious eating disorder associated with an excessive fear of being overweight|
|Put on makeup||to wear cosmetic products, such as lipstick or blush|
|Dress up||to wear clothes that are more fancy than usual
e.g. I’m excited to dress up for my graduation this weekend!
|Plastic/cosmetic surgery||This is the process of reconstructing or repairing parts of the body. Sometimes it is used to treat an injury, and other times it is to used to alter the appearance of a person.|
|Inner beauty||inner beauty refers to the qualities of a person that you cannot see (e.g. kindness, creativity, intelligence).|
|Body image||body image is how you see yourself when you look in the mirror or when you picture yourself in your mind.|
|Nose job||plastic surgery on your nose to change its appearance|
|Clean up well||to look good in formal attire, especially when it is not typically expected of a person
e.g. My brother usually wears plain t-shirts and sweatpants, but he cleaned up well at the wedding.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Describe a face and body that you think is beautiful.
- Do you agree that someone’s state of mind affects his/her looks?
- Are you satisfied with your looks? If yes, what would you say to people who are not? If not, why not?
- Does beauty affect one’s success in life?
- Is beauty related to power?
- Can a beautiful person be ugly inside? How about the other way around?
- What is your opinion on plastic surgery?
- Do you think self-esteem affects beauty? Or the other way around?
- How important is beauty in your daily life?
- “Everything has beauty but not everyone sees it.” Do you agree with this statement? Share your thoughts with your Cambly tutor!