In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over a type-5 question from TOEIC speaking test. Your tutor will read the question to you, and you have 60 seconds to answer on your own.
Directions: In this part of the test, you will be presented with a problem and asked to propose a solution. You will have 30 seconds to prepare. Then you will have 60 seconds to speak.
In your response, be sure to:
- show that you recognize the problem, and
- propose a way of dealing with the problem
(Tutor: read the text to the student. The question is not presented to the student in the actual test)
Hello. This is Matt Damon. Two days ago, I ordered 3 books on your website with the next-day delivery, which guaranteed my books would be delivered to my house by the following day. I paid extra for the special delivery because I wanted those books before I leave the country in two days. As stated on your website, if the order is placed before 1 p.m., you should have received the order on the same day and have shipped the books by yesterday at the latest. Today is already Friday, and I haven’t received my books yet. Please let me know what happened. You can contact me on my cell phone at (123) 456-7890.
How did you do? Use the following pointers as a guideline to refine your answer.
- Make note of the key facts
- Who is calling? Matt Damon, a customer
- Why is he calling? He did not receive his books.
- What is he asking for? He wants to know why the books are so late when he even paid extra for special delivery.
- Come up with a solution
- Say who you are: Hello, Mr. Damon. This is XXX calling from Amazon.com.
- Say why you are calling: I am calling regarding your voice message.
- Repeat the problem: You placed an order for three books from our website two days ago with the next-day delivery but you have not received your books yet.
- Repeat the request: You would like to know what happened to your order.
- Propose a solution:
- I looked up your order record and details and I don’t know why you did not receive your books the next day.
- I am very sorry for the delivery problem.
- It is not very common at all for us to have complaints about our deliveries.
- I placed the same order with the next-day delivery so you can have the books by tomorrow before you leave the country.
- You will get a refund of $10 delivery charge as Amazon credit.
- Wrap up: If you have any further questions, you can reach me at (000) 000-0000.
Reading great sample answers is one way to improve. Go over the sample answer with your tutor. Ask questions if you have any.
Got more time? Here is a list of common vocab words related to the text you studied today. Go over each one with your tutor.
|delay||(v) later than planned, scheduled, or required
e.g. The doctor wants to delay surgery for a few weeks.
|next-day delivery||(n) expedited delivery
|guarantee||(v) make a usually written promise that whatever you are selling, doing, etc., is what you say it is
e.g.I guarantee that the washer is the best of the line.
|place an order||(idiom) submit an order
e.g. My secretary placed an order for a new computer.
|complaint||(n) a statement that you are unhappy or not satisfied with something
e.g. The company has a system to handle customer complaints.
|confusion||(n) a situation in which people are unable to understand something clearly
e.g. There is a great deal of confusion about how the system works.
|inconvenience||(n) trouble or problems
e.g. I hope this delay doesn’t cause you any inconvenience.
|(store) credit||(n) If you buy something on credit, you take it and promise to pay for it later.
e.g. Back then, stores allowed their customers to buy food on credit.
|refund||(v/n) money returned to a payer
e.g. If you are not completely satisfied, we will refund the purchase price.
|reimburse||(v) pay back for some expense incurred; refund
e.g. We will reimburse your travel expenses.