Practice by reading the dialogue with your tutor. After you are done, switch roles and do it again! 📘
- K: Can you speak English?
- D: Yes, I can. If I practice, I could speak better.
- K: We could practice English together if you like.
- D: Sure! Could we practice on Monday?
Using the verbs “can” and “could” 📘
Read the diagram out loud with your tutor.
Go over the vocabulary below with your tutor.
Make a sentence using the words. You can use the picture above with can and could. 📘
- Ask for permission in a more polite way. salt, pass, you, the, could
Could you pass the salt?
- Make a sentence using cannot (not allowed). cannot, drink, coffee, you, now ________________________________.
- Make a suggestion. What do you want to do? go, if, could, we, you, bowling, like ____________________________________________.
- Request something in an informal way. loan, five, can, me, you, dollars __________________________________________________.
- A general ability in the past. could, he, five, run, kilometers, before _______________________________________________.
Fill in the blank with “can” or “could.” 📘
- When I was eighteen years old, I could eat a lot of food.
- He _______ cook good.
- ________ we take a break please? (formal)
- If we hurry, we __________ catch the bus.
- ________ I help you make the bed?
Fill in the blank with the job described.
- Person who helps the doctor ________________
- Person who puts out fires ___________________
- Person who catches criminals __________________
- Person who designs buildings ________________
- Person who writes books ___________________
- What is your job? Do you like it?
- What did you want to be when you were a child?
- If money was not an issue, what job would you like?
- What did your parents do for a living? Did they like it?
- What do you think makes a person like their job?
(Image source: 1. http://image.slidesharecdn.com/inglesgrupo-151227065204/95/zero-conditional-2-638.jpg?cb=1451199135, 2. http://www.slideshare.net/yanierpreciadohurtado/zero-conditional-63890374)