Practice by reading the dialogue with your tutor. After you are done, switch roles and do it again! 📘
- K: Is this your purse? 📘
- D: Yes, it is mine. Did you find a key also? 📘
- K: Yes, is it yours? 📘
- D: Yes, it is mine. 📘
Using possessive pronouns. 📘
Possessive pronouns are used in English so you don’t have to repeat information that is already known. It usually makes the sentence less confusing. 📘
- These keys are my keys. These keys are mine.
- This backpack is your backpack. This backpack is yours.
- That purse is her purse. That purse is hers.
- This flashlight is our flashlight. This flashlight is ours.
- This camera is their camera. This camera is theirs.
Using the articles a and an. 📘
Go over the vocabulary and below with your tutor. 📘
Fill in the blank with the correct possessive pronoun. 📘
- Do these keys belong to you? Yes, they are mine.
- She has a ring. It is _______.
- Is this our flashlight? No, it is not _______.
- This is their camera. The camera is ________.
- The suitcase belongs to me. It is _________.
Fill in the first blank with a personal item from the vocabulary list. Fill in the second blank with the correct possessive pronoun. 📘
- The hat belongs to him. It is his.
- The ____________ belongs to them. It is _________.
- The ____________ belongs to us. It is ___________.
- The ____________ belongs to you. It is __________.
- The ____________ belongs to her. It is ___________.
Rewrite the sentence using a or an or leave it blank. 📘
- She has two _______ purses. She has two purses.
- You and I have _______ sunglasses. ___________________________.
- He has ______ backpack. _______________________.
- They have _______ camera. _____________________.
- You have ______ umbrella. ____________________.
Say what the personal item is in the picture. Use “It is/they are ___________.” Make sure to use a or an or nothing. 📘
- Describe the things you have in your closet.
- What do you usually have in your pockets? Purse?
- Do you have anything in your home that isn’t yours? What?
- What would you bring on a trip?
- What things could you not live without?
(Image Source: http://www.slideshare.net/terefernan/perronouns)