Practice by reading the dialogue with your tutor. After you are done, switch roles and do it again! 📘
- K: What did you do last night?
- D: I watched a movie. What did you do?
- K: I played video games. What did you do after the movie?
- D: I washed the dishes.
- K: I prefer using paper plates.
Using the past tense. 📘
How to pronounce the -ed sound at the end of a verb. 📘
It’s difficult to know how to pronounce ‘ed’ in English because it’s pronounced in three different ways. It depends on the letter before: 📘
The three ways are:
- ‘id’ – wanted = want -id
- ‘t’ – helped = help -t
- ‘d’ – called = call -d
The most important thing to remember is this: 📘
If the verb has a ‘d’ or a ‘t’ sound before ‘ed’ you need to pronounce ‘id’. Be careful! It’s the sound, not the letter: ‘decided’ is pronounced ‘decide-id’ even though ‘decide’ ends in ‘e’ because we don’t say the ‘e’, so the last sound is ‘d’. 📘
So for example:
- wanted (want-id)
- ended (end-id)
- decided (decide-id)
- hated (hate-id)
If the word before ‘ed’ ends in the sounds ‘p’, ‘f’, ‘s’, ‘ch’, ‘sh’, ‘k’, then ‘ed’ is pronounced ‘t’: 📘
- ‘p’ stopped
- ‘f’ laughed
- ‘s’ promised
- ‘ch’ watched
- ‘sh’ finished
- ‘k’ walked
For all other words, ‘ed’ is pronounced ‘d’: 📘
Go over the vocabulary and below with your tutor. 📘
Fill in the blank with the correct simple past tense form of the verb. Write the correct -ed sound with the verb in the past tense. 📘
- Yesterday I helped my mom. (help or laugh) – help -t
- Last month she ________ to Dubai. (travel or cook) – _______
- Dorothy ______ the conversation. (laugh or end) – ________
- We ________ dinner. (travel or cook) – ________
- She ________ at the joke. (help or laugh) – ________
Change the sentence from the present tense to the past tense. 📘
- I live in the USA. I lived in the USA.
- My friend helps me study. _______________________.
- We cook together. _____________________.
- Dorothy talks a lot to Kevin. __________________.
- You give me a headache. _____________________.
Which -ed sound does the verb have? 📘
- Yesterday he wanted me to help. want -id
- Dorothy called me this morning. ________
- Her sister stopped crying. _________
- You called me late last night. ________
- I cleaned my room last week. ________
Fill in the blank with the correct irregular verb. 📘
- Dorothy and Kevin ate breakfast at 7:00 am. (to eat)
- We ______ a bird. (to see)
- You ________ all of the water. (to drink)
- When _____ you eat breakfast? (to do)
- They ______ home last night. (to be)
- What did you do last night?
- What did you do earlier today?
- Describe a normal day from your childhood.
- Describe all the places you’ve lived.