In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over a type-2 question from TOEIC speaking test. Describe the photo in your own words; you have 60 seconds to answer.
Directions: In this part of the test, you will describe the picture on your screen as much detail as you can. You will have 30 seconds to prepare your response. Then you will have 45 seconds to speak about the picture.
How did you do? Use the following pointers as a guideline to refine your answer.
- What is the theme of the picture?
- There are some people having a business meeting.
- Organize the photo into 3 parts:
- Describe the person’s main action
- Describe the objects in the picture
- Describe what you see in the background
- Think of expressions and vocabulary that describe person, objects, and background
- Have a business meeting
- Dark brown hair tied in a ponytail
- Light gray work dress
- Give a presentation holding a marker in her right hand
- Graphs on a white board
- Listen to her while sitting around the table
- Wear a shirt and tie
- Blue tone tie with stripes
- A light blue (=sky blue) dress shirt
- Four glasses of water
- Take memo on a notepad with a pen
- Judging by the people’s body posture in this picture
- The woman have their whole attention
- Combine the expressions above to describe the picture in your own words.
Reading great sample answers is one way to improve. Go over the sample answer with your tutor. Ask questions if you have any.
I think this is a picture of some people having a business meeting. A woman with brunette hair tied back in a ponytail is giving a presentation while holding a white marker in her right hand and keeping eye contact with a listener. She looks very confident. The presenter is wearing a nice gray work dress with a black belt on her waist. There are four different graphs that seem like are printed on papers attached to the whiteboard. There are three businessmen and one business woman listening to her presentation. Three of them are looking at the presenter while one man on the right side of the table is jotting down notes. All men are wearing a dress shirt with a tie while a woman listener is wearing a short-sleeve white shirt and beige color trousers. There are four glasses of water and a glass jar on the table. Judging by the people’s body postures in this picture, the presenter has listeners’ full attention.
Got more time? Here is a list of common vocab words related to the text you studied today. Go over each one with your tutor.
|pointer||(n) something that is used for pointing at things
e.g. It can be used like a laser pointer.
|ponytail||(n) hair tied up high at the back
e.g. She usually wears her hair tied back in a ponytail.
|brunette||(adj) black or brown
e.g. brunette hair
|work dress||(n) formal looking dress suitable for office work
e.g. I need to shop for some work dresses.
|keep eye contact||(idiom) when two people look at each other’s eyes at the same time
e.g. Keep eye contact and pay attention to what they have to tell you.
|confident||(adj) certain about your ability
e.g. I am confident about my ability to do the job.
|engaged||(adj) busy; occupied
e.g. He is engaged in research.
|have attention||(idiom) receive somebody’s attention
e.g. May I have your attention, please?
|jot down||(v) write a short note
e.g. I’ll just jot down the address for you.
|body posture||(n) the position in which you stand or sit.
e.g. He can read your emotions from your facial expressions, voice tone, and body posture.