In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over a type-5 question from TOEIC speaking test. Your tutor will read the question to you, and you have 60 seconds to answer on your own.
Directions: In this part of the test, you will be presented with a problem and asked to propose a solution. You will have 30 seconds to prepare. Then you will have 60 seconds to speak.
In your response, be sure to:
- show that you recognize the problem
- propose a way of dealing with the problem
(Tutor: read the text to the student. The question is not presented to the student in the actual test)
Hello. This is Julia Roberts. I am scheduled for a job interview for a customer service position with your airline today at 3 p.m. I am very excited about this opportunity and believe that this position would be a great fit for me. I left home an hour ago to give myself enough time to arrive before my appointment, but it looks like I am in a traffic jam due to an accident on the freeway. Because of this, I am afraid that I might not make it on time. I will do my best to try to get off the freeway so that I can take an alternate route, but, just in case I can’t make it on time, would it be possible to reschedule my job interview? I don’t want all of my preparations to go to waste, and, as I just mentioned, I really want to work for your company. I will wait for your call. You can reach me on my cell phone at (123) 456-7890. My name is Julia Roberts. Thank you.
How did you do? Use the following pointers as a guideline to refine your answer.
- Make note of the key facts
- Who is calling? Julia Roberts and she has an interview with the company
- Why is she calling? She is in a traffic jam due to an accident on the freeway, and she is concerned that she will be late for the interview
- What is she asking for? She is trying to be on time but wants to reschedule the interview in case she doesn’t make it on time
- Come up with a solution
- Say who you are: Hello, Ms. Roberts. This is XXX from the human resource department.
- Say why you are calling: I am returning your voice message.
- Repeat the problem: You said that you may be late for your job interview, which is scheduled at 3 pm today, due to an unexpected accident on the freeway.
- Repeat the request: You want to reschedule your job interview in case you arrive late.
- Propose a solution:
- I understand how important this job interview is to you.
- It is not possible to reschedule your job interview today because several other interviews have been scheduled right after yours.
- I will leave a note for the interviewers in case you do not make it on time, but I have to let you know this may reflect negatively on your candidacy.
- Wrap up: Please let me know immediately when you arrive here. You can reach me on my cell phone at (213) 123-4567.
Reading great sample answers is one way to improve. Go over the sample answer with your tutor. Ask questions if you have any.
Got more time? Here is a list of common vocab words related to the text you studied today. Go over each one with your tutor.
|unexpected||(adj) not expected
e.g. He received unexpected results.
|traffic jam ( traffic congestion)||(n) a large number of vehicles unable to move or moving very slowly
e.g. I’m stuck in a traffic jam, so I’ll be late.
|reschedule||(v) change to a new time for an event
e.g. The meeting was rescheduled for Tuesday.
|due to something||(idiom) because of a reason
e.g. The accident was primarily due to her carelessness.
|candidacy||(n) the position of a person who is trying to be elected
e.g. She is expected to announce her candidacy for president.
|reflect positively/negatively on~||(idiom) to cause people to think of someone or something in a positive/negative way
e.g. This incident reflects negatively on everyone involved.
|interviewer / interviewee||(n) a person who is asking someone questions at an interview / a person who is interviewed
e.g. The interviewer asked the interviewee some very personal questions.
|make it on time||(idiom) arrive punctually
e.g. I’m leaving early so I can make it on time.
|punctual||(adj) being on time
e.g. The trains were punctual.
|you can reach me at ….||(idiom) you can call me at
e.g. You can reach me at 012345678.