In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: secrets. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|secret||(n) keep information from others; don’t tell others
Don’t tell your mom about the birthday party. It’s a secret.
|keep||(v) to have for yourself; not tell anyone
Can you keep a secret?
|reveal||(v) to make a secret known to others
I need to reveal a secret to you. I’m looking for another job.
|tell||(v) to say something to another person; give information
I have a secret. Do you want me to tell you?
|spread around||(v – phrase) to tell many people news about something
News about my new job has spread around my company.
|my lips are sealed||(idiom) something you say to let someone know you will not tell their secret
Please don’t tell anyone about my secret. My lips are sealed.
|spill the beans||(idiom) to give a secret away
We are having a surprise birthday party for dad. Please, don’t spill the beans.
|leak||(v) to give information to someone else like a secret
Please don’t leak my secret to other people.
|whisper||(v) to speak very softly
I want you to whisper the secret into my ear.
|private||(adj) not known to other people
Secrets are private information between certain people.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Tell me about a time someone asked you to keep a secret.
- Do you keep a lot of secrets to yourself? Why or why not?
- Do you use your real name on the internet or do you keep it a secret? Why?
- Do you think your personal information should be private? Why or why not?
- Tell me about a time you spilled the beans.
- Tell me about a time you whispered to someone.
- Are you good at keeping secrets? Why or why not?
- If your best friend stole something, would you keep it a secret? Why or why not?
- When is the last time you told someone a secret? Why?
- If you had a secret, who would be the first person you would tell? Why?