In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: people with disabilities. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|handicapped||(adj) having a physical or mental disability (disabled)
He has been handicapped since his motorcycle accident.
|deaf||(adj) not able to hear
A deaf person uses sign language.
|blind||(adj) not able to see
A blind person uses a walking stick to walk.
|paralyzed||(adj) when a person cannot move or feel their body parts like legs and arms
He is paralyzed from the waist down.
|mental||(adj) related to the mind
He has a mental problem.
|Down syndrome||(n) a mental condition; born with learning difficulties and physical differences
A person with Down syndrome has trouble learning.
|wheelchair||(n) a chair with wheels that someone uses if they can’t walk
He needs a wheelchair because he can’t walk.
|cane||(n) a short stick with a curved handle to help people walk
The old lady uses a cane to help her walk.
|handicapped parking space||(n) space where a person with a disability can park their car close to a building
A handicapped parking space is only for people with disabilities.
|service dog||(n) a dog that is professionally trained to help people with disabilities
Some blind people use a service dog to help them.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Do people with disabilities use service dogs in your country?
- Are there handicapped parking spaces in your country?
- Does your government help people with disabilities? If so, how?
- Do you know anyone with a disability? If so, tell me about them.
- What do you think it would be like to be blind?
- What do you think it would be like to be deaf?
- Have you ever used a wheelchair? If so, why?
- Do you know anyone who uses a cane? If so, why do they use it?
- Can you think of some mental disabilities?
- How do you feel when you see a disabled person?