In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: Health. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|medical check-ups||an examination of a person made by a doctor to make sure the person is healthy
e.g. I usually go in for a check-up once a year.
|healthcare system||a system designed to prevent or treat illness, involving doctors, dentists, psychologists, etc.
e.g. It’s important to see if a country’s healthcare system is really helping its people.
|Obamacare||ObamaCare (the Affordable Care Act) is a healthcare reform law that expands and improves access to healthcare in the US.|
|hypochondriac||a person who is often worried about being ill
e.g. My brother is a real hypochondriac. Every time he reads about some new disease, he thinks he has it.
|secondhand smoke||smoke from a cigarette, cigar, pipe, etc., that can be inhaled by people who are near the person who is smoking
e.g. Secondhand smoke can be especially harmful to children’s health because their lungs still are developing.
|over-the-counter||a medicine available for purchase without a special note (called a prescription) from a doctor
e.g. Tylenol is an example of over-the-counter medication.
|prescribe||to officially tell someone to use (a medicine, therapy, diet, etc.) as a remedy or treatment
e.g. His doctor prescribed a pain reliever after he broke his arm.
|FDA(Food and Drug Administration)||a part of the US government that tests, approves, and sets standards for foods, drugs, chemicals, and household products
e.g. The new medicine has not yet been approved by the FDA.
|acupuncture||A method of relieving pain or curing illness by placing needles into a person’s skin at particular points on the body
e.g. Acupuncture is a type of alternative medicine.
|benign/malignant cancer||Benign cancer is a type of cancer that does not cause death or serious injury. In contrast, malignant cancer is very dangerous, can spread rapidly, and can cause death.|
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- What do you do to stay healthy?
- Are you worried about your health?
- What do you usually do when you get ill?
- Describe the medical system in your country. Are you satisfied with the current system? If you are not satisfied, what can be improved?
- Do many people smoke in your country?
- How do people get medicine in your country?
- Which disease causes the most death in your country? What can be done to prevent that disease?
- Have you or people you know ever had an operation? Describe what it was like.
- What alternative health therapies do you know of? What do you think of them?
- Gandhi said, “It is health that is real wealth and not piece of gold and silver.” Do you agree? Share your thoughts with your Cambly tutor!