In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: Luxury Bags. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|Briefcase||a flat case that is used for carrying papers or books, especially used in offices|
|Luggage||the bags and suitcases that a person carries when traveling|
|Tote bag||a large bag used for carrying things|
|Avant-garde||a group of people who develop new and often very surprising ideas in art, literature, etc.
e.g. The book discusses the role of the avant-garde in the film industry.
|Haute couture||the people and companies that create clothes that are very expensive and fashionable
e.g. Many celebrities wear haute couture on the red carpet.
|Pickpocket||a thief who steals money and other things from people’s pockets and purses|
|Counterfeit||something made to look like an exact copy of something else in order to trick people
e.g. Police are investigating the criminals who used counterfeit money.
|Secondhand||something that had a previous owner
e.g. They saved a lot of money by buying secondhand furniture.
|Department store||a large store that has separate areas in which different kinds of products are sold|
|Consignment store||a store to which people bring items that they no longer want (such as old clothes, shoes, and equipment) to have them sold
e.g. When my old sweater sold at the consignment store, I received a portion of the profit!
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Describe the most expensive bag you have.
- What kind of bag is it? Describe its style.
- Why did you choose this particular bag? Brand? Material? Explain your thought process.
- Do you have a favorite luxury brand?
- Do you think a bag or purse you carry somewhat represents your social status? Why or why not?
- What do you think about counterfeit products? Have you ever bought one?
- How important do you think a bag is as a fashion accessory?
- What do you have in your bag or purse?
- What do you think a president would carry in his/her bag or purse?
- Alain Wertheimer, co-owner of Chanel, said, “We’re in the business of selling pleasure. We don’t sell handbags or haute couture. We sell dreams.” Do you agree? Share your thoughts with your Cambly tutor!