In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: Marketing & Advertising. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|Broadcast||to send out (signals, programs, etc.) by radio or television
e.g. The station broadcasts live music every Friday night.
|Copy||The words to be printed or spoken in an advertisement.
e.g. Whoever came up with that copy is a genius!
|Gimmick||a method or trick that is used to get people’s attention or to sell something
e.g. That company’s marketing gimmicks are annoying but they work!
|The bandwagon effect||the theory that people will do something primarily because other people are doing it
e.g. After top celebrities joined the app, everyone else jumped on the bandwagon!
|Snob effect||the theory that people will not do something primarily because other people are doing it
e.g. Most of the people in the club are snobs who look down on people who attended public schools.
|Exaggerate||to think of or describe something as larger or greater than it really is
e.g. He tends to exaggerate when talking about his accomplishments.
|Commercial||a commercially sponsored advertisement on radio or television
e.g. Did you see the new McDonald’s Super Bowl commercial?
|Endorsement||a public or an official statement of support or approval
e.g. A strong endorsement from the president would be pretty powerful.
|Influencer||a person or group that has the ability to influence the behavior or opinions of others
e.g. influencer marketing
|Above the fold||A term derived from the print advertising industry. It describes the area of a web page that’s visible before the website visitor scrolls down the page. Note: There is no set pixel size for the fold; it will vary depending on the visitor’s screen size and resolution.
e.g. We want to show the video above the fold in full screen.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- What is the most memorable commercial you have ever seen? Describe it.
- What makes an ad memorable?
- Why do you buy one product over another? Do commercials have any influence on your decision?
- Which is more powerful in marketing: good copy or good image?
- What are different types and methods of advertising? (e.g. TV, social media, radio, etc.)
- What do you think of celebrity endorsements?
- What do you think about social media marketing?
- Is there truth in advertising?
- Do you think marketing can have an impact on the image of a company? Can you think of a good example?
- Someone said, “Promise, large promise, is the soul of an advertisement.” What do you think? Share your thoughts with your Cambly tutor!