In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: adventure. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|adventurous||(adj) willing to take risks or to try out new methods, ideas, or experiences.
e.g. Let’s be adventurous.
|adrenaline rush||(n) a sudden burst of energy which causes an increase in heart rate, blood pressure, perspiration
e.g. Bungee jumping gives most people an adrenaline rush.
|dare||(v) to do (something that is difficult or that people are usually afraid to do)
e.g. The actress dared a new interpretation of the classic role.
|extreme sports||(n) recreational activities that involve high-risk physical stunts
e.g. Extreme sports are more popular with the young.
|risk||(n) exposure to the chance of injury or loss
e.g. It’s not worth the risk of getting hurt.
(v) to expose to the chance of injury or loss
e.g. Let’s not risk getting hurt.
|take/run a risk||(idiom) put oneself in danger of injury or loss
e.g. I’d rather not take the risk if I can help it.
|free-fall||(v) falling through the air without a parachute
e.g. The jumpers were required to free-fall for eight seconds.
|hike||(v) to walk or march a great distance, especially through nature
e.g. I love to go hiking on the weekends!
(n) long walk or march for recreational activity, military training, or the like.
e.g. Let’s take a hike this weekend!
|explore||to travel over or through (a place) in order to learn more about it or to find something
e.g. They were sent to explore unknown regions of Africa.
|thrill|| (v) to cause (someone) to feel very excited or happy
e.g. I was thrilled by their decision.
(n) a feeling of great excitement or happiness
e.g. the thrill of discovery/victory
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Are you adventurous? Why or why not?
- Do you like extreme sports? If yes, why and which ones? If no, why not?
- Have you ever been hiking? Where did you go? Who did you go with?
- What’s the most exciting thing you have ever done? Tell about it.
- Have you ever had an adrenaline rush? Tell about it.
- Do you like taking risks? Why or why not?
- Can you name some other adventurous activities that you or other people do?
- Why do people like extreme sports?
- If you were offered a free skydiving trip, would you go? Why or why not?
- Life is an adventure. Do you agree? Why or why not?