In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: what is culture? First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|religion||(n) a belief in a god or group of gods
There are many different religions in the world.
|folk art||(n) paintings, musical instruments, jewelry, and other forms of art made by untrained people of a country
Every country as some type of folk art.
|diet||(n) food and drink regularly provided or consumed; what people eat
Hamburgers and hot dogs are apart of the USA diet.
|rituals||(n) a ceremony or celebration performed by people
Rituals are apart of every culture.
|relationships||(n) the way two or more people, groups, countries, etc., talk to and behave with each other
Relationships between couples can be difficult sometimes.
|child-rearing||(n) the process of taking care of and raising children
Child-rearing is not easy, especially if there are ore than one child.
|manners||(n) the way something is done or happens; how people act
Being polite and helpful are good manners.
|dress||(n) specific or traditional clothes that people wear; formal or informal
The typical dress for a man at a formal ceremony is a suit and tie.
|schedule||(n) a plan of things that will be done and times when they will be done
The schedule for work is Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
|custom||(n) an action or way of behaving that is usual and traditional
My family has a custom of celebrating birthdays by going out for dinner.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- What some typical food dishes cooked in your country?
- What are the normal working schedules in your country?
- What are the normal school schedules in your country?
- Which religions are practiced in your country?
- What are some of the traditional dress people wear in your country?
- How do a man and woman start a relationship in your country?
- What types of folk art are made in your country (e.g. music, art, dance, musical instruments, etc.)?
- How should visitors to your country act?
- Are there any specific manners in your country? If so, tell me about one.
- Do you enjoy learning about other cultures? Why or why not?