In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: personality. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|trait||(n) a quality belonging to someone
One personality trait that I have is being kind.
|extrovert||(n) a friendly person who likes being with and talking to other people; an outgoing person
My brother is an extrovert because he can talk to anybody.
|introvert||(n) a shy person who doesn’t find it easy to talk to people
She is an introvert because she doesn’t like to talk to people in public.
|hot-tempered||(adj) becoming angry very easily
He’s hot-tempered because he got mad at me for spilling water.
|even-tempered||(adj) not easily upset or made angry
She’s even-tempered because she doesn’t let little things bother her.
|dependent||(adj) needing someone or something else for help or support
Children are dependent on their parents.
|independent||(adj) not needing or relying on others for help and support
I’m an independent person because I like to live by myself.
|blow off some steam||(idiom) to get rid of anger
I’m going for a bike ride to blow off some steam.
|sociable||(adj) like to talk and be with people
Sociable people can talk to strangers.
|antisocial||(adj) not friendly to other people; harmful to other people
Antisocial people hate to be around other people.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Are you happy with your personality? Why or why not?
- Do you think people can change their personality traits? Why or why not?
- What are some things that make you angry?
- If you could change one thing about your personality, what would it be? Why?
- Are you even-tempered or hot-tempered? Why?
- What do you like to do to blow off steam?
- What personality traits do you consider important in a good friend?
- Are you an extrovert or introvert? Why?
- What are some things that make you happy?
- Are you a dependent or independent person? Why?