In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: birthdays. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|birthday cake||(n) a sweet and soft food made with eggs, flour, sugar, and other ingredients; after it is baked, it is decorated for birthdays
My favorite birthday cake is a chocolate cake with peanut butter icing.
|surprise party||(n) an unexpected birthday celebration someone has for you
My wife had a surprise party for my birthday this year.
|milestone birthday||(n) a birthday event marking a specific or significant age
In the USA some milestone birthdays are celebrated at 16, 25, 50, and 100.
|present||(n) a gift that is given to someone for a life event like a birthday
I received a present from my parents for my birthday.
|wrapping paper||(n) a special paper that is used to cover presents or gifts
The wrapping paper has balloons, candles, and a cake on it.
|ribbon||(n) a long strip of fabric used to decorate a present
She wrapped the gift with a ribbon around it.
|birthdate||(n) the date when a person was born
My birthdate is April 15, 1966.
|candle||(n) wax formed into a stick and has a string in the middle that can be burned
For my 50th birthday, they put 50 candles on my cake.
|birthday wish||(n) a special desire or hope for someone’s birthday
Example: 1. I hope you have a wonderful birthday 2. I wish you all the best on your birthday.
|tradition||(n) a custom or belief in a country or group of people that is passed from one generation to the next
We have a tradition of going out for dinner on our birthdays.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- How are birthdays celebrated in your country? Are there traditions in your country?
- What is your best birthday memory?
- What flavor of birthday cake do you like?
- What are some presents people receive in your country for birthdays?
- When were you born?
- What are some things you like to do for your birthday?
- What was the best present you ever received and from whom?
- Are milestone birthdays celebrated in your country? If so, which birthdays are milestones?
- Have you ever had a surprise birthday party? If so, tell me about. If no, do you want one?
- Is the cost of a present important to you? Why or why not?