In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: going to the hair salon or barbershop. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|barber||(n) a person whose job is to cut men’s hair
My barber likes to work on the weekends.
|hairstylist||(n) a person who cuts and styles hair; hairdresser
The hairstylist is very good at cutting hair.
|blow-dry||(v) to dry hair with a hair dryer
I blow-dry my hair every day.
|color||(v) to dye hair to another color or shade
She has to color her hair once a month.
|perm||(n) a process where a person’s hair is curled and treated with chemicals; usually a woman
A perm will make your hair curly for a long time.
|curly||(adj) having curls in the hair, formed into a round shape
The woman has naturally curly hair.
|hairstyle||(n) a particular form or design of hair
She wants a new hairstyle.
|straighten||(v) to make the something straight like hair
She wants the hairstylist to straighten her hair.
|split ends||(n) hair that has become dry or damaged and has split apart at the ends
She wants to have her split ends repaired.
|bangs||(n) hair in the front of the head cut straight and the same length
She asked the hairstylist to cut her bangs.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- How often do you go to a hair salon or barbershop? Why?
- Have you ever had your color put in your hair? If yes, which color and why?
- Do you have a favorite hairstylist or barber? Why?
- Do you like straight or curly hair? Why?
- Would you get a perm? Why or why not?
- Is there a specific style of haircut you like? Why or why not?
- What do you normally have done to your hair when you go to the hair salon or barbershop?
- Do you like bangs? Why or why not?
- Can you name some tools hairstylists and barbers use?
- Did you ever have a dream to be a hairstylist or barber when you were younger?