In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: at the gas station. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|gas pump||(n) the machine at a gas station to put gas in a car
The gas pump doesn’t work.
|self-service||(adj) allowing customers to serve themselves
We only have self-service gas stations in my city.
|full-service||(adj) someone who serves another person
I like full-service gas stations because I don’t have to do the work.
|fill up||(v – phrase) action of filling up something full; a gas tank
I always like to fill up my gas tank
|unleaded gas||(n) a type of fuel that doesn’t have tetraethyllead; lead-free
My car uses unleaded gas.
|check the oil||(phrase) to look at the engine oil in a car to see if it needs more oil
Should I check the oil in your car?
|check the tire pressure||(phrase) to look or test the air in car tires to see if they need more air
I always check the tire pressure when I go to the gas station.
|gas attendant||(n) the person who puts gas in your car at a gas station
The gas attendant is very busy.
|wash the windshield||(phrase) to clean the front glass of a car with liquid soap and water
He always washes the windshield of his car.
|pop the hood||(phrase) to open the hood of a car; the engine is under the hood
Please pop the hood so I can check your oil.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Which do you like better, full-service or self-service gas stations? Why?
- Do you usually pay with cash or credit card for gas? Why?
- How often do you check the tire pressure in your car?
- How often do you check the oil in your car?
- Is gas expensive in your country?
- Do you always fill your gas tank full? Why or why not?
- Why is it important not to smoke at gas stations?
- Would you like to work as a gas attendant? Why or why not?
- Is it important to keep the correct amount of air in car tires? Why or why not?
- Do you like to wash the windshield of your car? Why or why not?