In this lesson, your tutor will help you go over this topic: hotels. First, go over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do not understand. Practice creating a sentence or two to make sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.
|lobby||(n) a large open area inside a public building by the entrance
I’m waiting in the lobby for you.
|front desk||(n) the area where you check into a hotel; reception
The person at the front desk gave me the keys to the room.
|room||(n) an area in the hotel where the guests stay and sleep
My room is on the 8th floor.
|star rating||a system to rate hotels from 1 star to 5 star
A 5-star rating hotel is the highest.
|luggage cart||(n) a device with wheels to put your suitcases on and take to your room
The luggage cart is located in the lobby.
|floor||(n) the level in a building like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc
Her room is on the 10th floor.
|housekeeping||(n) the workers that clean the hotel and guest rooms
Housekeeping did a great job of cleaning my room.
|guest||(n) a customer at a hotel
The hotel treats their guests well.
|indoor pool||(n) a structure inside a building filled with water for swimming
The indoor pool is located on the 1st floor.
|ice machine||(n) a machine that makes ice
The ice machine is not working.
Use the following questions as a guideline to form an interesting conversation with your tutor. Feel free to diverge from these suggestions if anything interesting comes up.
- Do you like to stay in a 5-star hotel? Why or why not?
- Do you like to use the indoor pool at hotels? Why or why not?
- What are some things you would ask the person at the front desk?
- Tell me about a hotel you stayed in.
- What do you like about hotels?
- What would you do if the guest beside you was too noisy?
- Do you use the ice machines at hotels? Why or why not?
- What is your favorite hotel? Why?
- Do you think hotel rooms are expensive? Why or why not?
- Do you like hotels that offer free breakfast? Why or why not?